How do I use Commons?
This lesson will give you an overview of how to search for and find resources in Commons.
- To enable Commons in your Canvas instance, please contact your Customer Success Manager. To access Commons, you will need to have an email address associated with your Canvas account.
- Commons is available in all Free for Teacher (FFT) accounts. Free for Teacher users are limited to finding, importing, and sharing public resources.
A resource in Commons can be a Course, Module, Quiz, Assignment, Discussion, Page, Document, Video, Image, or Audio file. Each resource type has a unique icon. Look for these related colors and icons when searching for resources. To find resources in Commons, use the search field . You can search for keywords such as author, institution, or title. You can also search by outcome, consortium, or group. To narrow your search, or to search by filter, use one or more of the filter options:
- Type : You can filter by resource type (e.g. Courses, Modules, Assignments, Quizzes, Discussions, Pages, Documents, Images, Videos, or Audio).
- Grade/Level : The grade/level filter allows you to select specific grades or level of education to narrow your search (e.g. K-12, Undergraduate, Graduate).
- Latest : By default, the filter shows the latest resources, but you can also filter by most relevant or highest-rated resources.
- Consortium or Group : If you belong to Consortiums and/or Groups, click the name of a Consortium or Groups in the sidebar to view resources shared within that Consortium or Group.
You can choose to view Public Resources by clicking the toggle . Based on your selected filters, the number of results are displayed in the page . To search everything available to you in Commons, leave the search field and filters blank.
- The Shared with filter limits visibility to 10 options; scroll to view more.
- Depending on the account settings set by your Canvas admin, you may be unable to view and/or share public content.
View Search Results
In the search results, each resource will have the following details:
- Resource icon : Identify the resource type
- Title and description : Preview the title and description of the resource
- Author : View the author of the resource
- Rating : View the resource evaluation rated by other Canvas users
- Target icon : Indicates tagged outcome(s)
- Date : View the date the resource was last updated
To view more details, click a resource.
View Resource Details
In the resource details page, you can view a summary of the resource and related information:
- Subject and Grade/Level
- Who the resource was Shared With (account, group(s), consortium(s), public, private)
- Any outcomes that are tagged to the resources
- Relevant tags (keywords)
- Media type and duration
- Download link
- Date of Last Update (reflects date when content was last updated)
- Who the resource was Shared By
- The Account the resource was shared from
- Copyright and Creative Commons content license
- Reviews and ratings by other users
- Preview resources
- View Version notes (for updated resources only)
When you are ready to import a resource, click the Import into Course button.