How do I share a document, image, video, or audio file to Commons?
Learn how to share files in Canvas to Commons. Learn more about supported file types in Commons.
Resources should be complete before they are shared.To modify an existing shared resource, learn how to update a resource previously shared to Commons.
- To enable Commons in your Canvas instance, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
- Commons is available in all Free for Teacher (FFT) accounts. Free for Teacher users are limited to finding, importing, and sharing public resources.
- The file size limit for uploaded content is 500mb.
To share a document , image , video , or audio  file, next to the file, click the Settings icon  then click the Share to Commons link .
Choose Sharing Option
Select a sharing sharing option.
Note: Depending on the account settings set by your Canvas admin, you may be unable to view and/or share public content. Authors of publicly shared resources will always be able to view their resource.
Choose Content License
From the Copyright and Licenses drop-down menu, select your content license.
Add Grades and Outcomes
Select the appropriate grade level(s) using the sliders or the dropdown menus  and tag any outcomes (if enabled) .
View Shared Resource
View your shared resource. A notification will display at the top of the page that indicates the resource has been successfully shared. Please note that it may take up to 30 minutes for your resource to process.
- The file type will automatically display in the resource details.
- Duration will display for video and audio file types.
Resource Unavailable Message
If there was a problem sharing your resource, an error notification will appear in the page.