How do I log in to Canvas?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). Depending on your Canvas view, your institution's login page may vary from the images shown in this lesson. However, the functionality remains the same.
This lesson will show you how to log in to Canvas from an internet browser. If you are using Canvas with an institution, you will log in either from your institution's webpage or by using their direct Canvas URL. Canvas Network and Free-for-Teacher accounts also log in with a Canvas URL. You can also log in to Canvas on the Canvas Mobile apps; learn more about Canvas URLs for mobile apps.
You must have an account to log in to Canvas:
- If you are associated with an institution using Canvas and do not know your username and password, please contact your site administrator.
- If you do not yet have an account, learn how to create a Canvas account as a student or instructor
Note: If you are having trouble signing into Canvas, please see the troubleshooting section at the end of this lesson.
If you are having trouble logging in to your account, here are some tips:
- Verify you are using the correct Canvas URL for your account.
- If you use more than one Canvas URL (such as one for your institution and one for Canvas Network), make sure you are using the correct login and password for each Canvas URL.
- If your login and password were given to you from your institution and you are having trouble logging in, please contact your institution. (Your institution may have changed your login credentials.)
- If you do not have a login and password, you may need to create an account.
- If you have forgotten your password, you may be able to reset your password.
Access Canvas via Institution
Access Canvas via Canvas URL
Some institutions have you log in to Canvas using the direct link to their Canvas URL. In a browser window, enter your Canvas URL. Your Canvas login page will appear in the window.
Log in to Canvas
Each screenshot is acknowledged by its respective university for use in this lesson.