How do I add conditional content to a MasteryPath module item?
MasteryPath assignments release conditional content to students based on a set of rules in three scoring ranges. After the initial assignment has been graded by the instructor, the student’s score designates which conditional items(s) will be assigned as a learning path. For instance, a student who scores above 90% on an assignment could be assigned more advanced work, while a student who scores below 60% could view assignments designed for content clarification and improvement. Please note that resubmitted assignments may affect conditional paths, as updated grades may change the associated assignments released to the student.
Any graded assignments, graded discussions, and quizzes in a module can be the source for a MasteryPaths item. However, ungraded assignments, ungraded discussions, practice quizzes, and surveys (both graded and ungraded) cannot be used in MasteryPaths.
MasteryPaths items should be created from assignment assigned to everyone, such as a pre-test or an introductory assignment.
Once you have added conditional content to a MasteryPath assignment, you must differentiate each conditional assignment for MasteryPaths.
- Because content pages do not require grading, content pages cannot be the source of a MasteryPath and can only be added to an assignment as conditional content. However, a page must be allowed for MasteryPaths before it can be added to a conditional path.
- If conditional items are added to a path and later changed (such as separating conditional items in the same range or adding another item), the change will not apply to any students who have already been graded based on the original conditional path. Conditional items should be final when course content is published.
- Added items can include due dates, but due dates are controlled by each individual item, not by the conditional path. Instructors may want to confirm any assigned due dates for conditional items are aligned with the rest of the coursework appropriately in the module page structure.
- Conditional content items can be set up with their own conditional items.
- All module items should be published before the course is available to students. If an unpublished item is added as a conditional content item, the student will not be able to view the content until the item is published. Any publishing delays may have unintended consequences for the student's conditional path.
Note: MasteryPaths is currently a course opt-in feature. To enable this feature, learn how to manage feature options in the course features lesson.
Locate the item where you want to add a MasteryPath and click the Settings icon . Click the Mastery Paths option .
Note: Items that cannot originate a MasteryPath, such as content pages, as well as non-graded items that do not support MasteryPaths will not display the MasteryPaths settings option.
View Conditional Range
The assignment grade display and point value are shown at the top of the MasteryPath page .
The MasteryPaths tab displays three ranges for conditional content . The ranges match the grade display set for the assignment—points, percentage, letter grade, or GPA. The ranges default to 70%, 40%, and 0% of the assignment’s point value . rounded up respectively. For instance, an assignment worth 25 points defaults to ranges of 25–18 points, 18–10 points, and 10–0 points.
Add Items to Range
Select the range where you want to add conditional content items and click the Add button.
Any existing course item that can be used in a MasteryPath can be added as additional content.
In the content window, content can be searched by name , or in the adjacent drop-down menu , items can be filtered by type. If a content item does not display in the content window, the item cannot be added as a conditional release item.
- When sorting by type, you must add an item from a type before selecting another type.
- The content window only displays graded assignments, graded discussions, and quizzes. Ungraded assignments, ungraded discussions, practice quizzes, and surveys (both graded and ungraded) are not supported as conditional items.
- Pages will not display as a conditional item unless the page was previously edited to be included as a MasteryPath item.
Add Additional Items
Select another range and add the appropriate content items. You can add up to three existing items in a course to each range, in the form of individual items or groups.
Note: An item may be added to more than one range. An item that is already added in the range will be crossed out in the content window.
Set Student Choice Option
When more than one item is added to the same range, the items default to be completed together as indicated by the And (ampersand) button . Students who complete the assignment and score in a range with joined assignments must complete all the assignments in the conditional path.
If you want to give students a choice between assignments in a path, a range's items can be set to complete only one item or group in the path. To create a path option, click the And button. The items will separate and the And will change to an Or button . Students who complete the assignment and score in a range with an Or designation can select which item(s) to complete as part of the conditional path. To help select an assignment path, students will be able to view the descriptions of each assignment.