How do I masquerade as a user in an account?
Masquerading, or becoming a user, allows admins to log in as the user without a password. You can take any action as though you are the user, but the audit logs will show that you performed the tasks while masquerading. Audit logs can be viewed by admins who have access to Canvas Data files.
Only account-level users with the Become Other Users account permission can masquerade—this permission does not apply to sub-account admins.
- When masquerading as a user, language preferences do not apply and will always be shown in the default language.
- To masquerade as another admin, you must have all the permissions enabled in your account that have been enabled for that admin.
- If your institution has a trust agreement with another institution, trust accounts do not grant permission for you to masquerade as users associated with a different Canvas URL. You can only masquerade as users who are associated with your same account.
- Additionally, once you are masquerading, any user role that can view the user details page displays the masquerading Become link in the user details page. This behavior takes place because of an override to your masquerading permissions and helps you quickly masquerade as another user; it does not mean that the user for whom you are masquerading is also able to masquerade.
- Any Canvas feature that requires or modifies a user's API access token cannot be modified through masquerading.
In Global Navigation, click the Admin link , then click the name of the account .
In the sidebar, find the user by viewing users in a specific term  or searching for a user directly .
Open User Profile
In the search results, click the user's name.
Click the Become link.
Masquerade as User
Click the Masquerade as user button.
View Canvas as User
While you are masquerading, you can act like the user. You will see what the user sees, but the audit reports will show that you performed those tasks and not the actual user. You will know that you are masquerading by the information box at the bottom of the screen that says You are currently masquerading as [User].
When you are finished masquerading as the user, click the Stop Masquerading button.