How do I access Arc?
Depending on your institution's goals and preferences, Arc can be accessed in several ways. Most commonly, Arc accounts are integrated with Canvas.
The most direct way to access Arc is through an Arc account.
An arc account allows you to view, share, and comment on any uploaded video or audio media file. Learn how to use Arc in an Arc account.
- Users can upload and manage media files at any time
- Users who upload media are considered to be the media owner
- Media owners can manage all media settings and functionality including setting user details and viewing analytics
- Media owners can manage comments in their media
- Media owners can share media with other users and grant viewing or editing access
- Media always allow and display comments
- Media include a link and embed code to use in public sites (comments are never displayed)
Canvas Global Navigation Menu
In Canvas, if Arc is enabled for everyone in your institution, the Global Navigation Menu includes an Arc link. This link gives you direct access to your Arc account from anywhere in Canvas.
Note: If your Global Navigation Menu does not include an Arc link, you can still access Canvas through the Rich Content Editor.
When Arc is integrated with Canvas, users can access Arc as an external tool through the Rich Content Editor. Instructors can access Arc through the Course Navigation link. The Arc integration allows instructors to seamlessly integrate media interaction into the classroom.
Rich Content Editor
The Rich Content Editor is part of multiple features in Canvas including Assignments, Discussions, and Pages. For students, the Rich Content Editor is also available in course groups and in Text Entry assignment submissions. Learn how to use Arc in the Rich Content Editor.
Users can access Arc through the Rich Content Editor even if they do not have direct access to their Arc account through the Global Navigation Menu. However, access through the Rich Content Editor includes modified functionality and gives more control to the course instructor.
- Users can only access their Arc account when using the Rich Content Editor, including media uploads
- Students who upload a media file in either a course or a group are not considered to be the video owner; a copy of the media is made for the course instructor to manage
- Media can be embedded with or without comments
- After media is embedded, instructors can manage all media settings and functionality for course media including setting user details and viewing analytics
- Instructors can manage comments in all course media; in groups, users can only manage their own comments.
- Existing comments in embedded media are not included in course copies.
Course Navigation Link
Instructors can also view their course collection through the Arc Media Library link in the Course Navigation Menu. This functionality offers full access as noted when viewing Arc in an Arc Account.
Currently, Arc provides a separate login site for Arc admins. Arc sites allow admins to manage users for their institution. This site is separate from Canvas and is hosted in a separate URL. However, all other content in the Arc site is the same as in an Arc account.
Accessing this site requires an email invitation to create a user password. Any user who receives an email invitation can access the Arc site.
Learn how to log in to an Arc site.
- Users must log in to a separate URL
- Users have the same access as standard Arc accounts
- Users with Arc admin roles can manage users