Will Canvas work on my mobile device?
Canvas is built on open web standards and uses minimal instances of Flash, so most features are supported on mobile devices. With the growing use of mobile devices, instructors should build their courses with best practices for mobile in mind.
You can access Canvas from any browser on your Android/iOS device. However, mobile browsers are not supported, and features may not function as expected compared to viewing Canvas in a fully supported desktop browser.
On mobile devices, Canvas is designed to be used within Canvas mobile applications. Canvas pages within a mobile browser are only supported when an action in the app links directly to the browser, such as when a student takes certain types of quizzes. Support is not extended to pages that cannot currently be used in the app, such as Conferences or Collaborations.
We are actively improving our native mobile applications to support as many Canvas features as possible. Instructure has four native mobile applications free for download on both phones and tablets. Please note that mobile applications are only supported in English at this time.
- Canvas by Instructure (iOS 8.0+, Android 4.2+). This app provides access to Canvas for both instructors and students while on the go. Depending on your device, not all Canvas features may be available on the app at this time. View Canvas mobile features by version and device.
- Canvas Parent (iOS 8.0+, Android 4.2+). This app is designed for parents to engage in their students' education and view assignments, events, and grades. Access to Canvas Parent is managed by the student's institution.
- MagicMarker (iOS 8.0+ iPad only). This app is specifically designed for instructors to assist them with standards-based learning. Syncs with the Learning Mastery Gradebook.
- Polls for Canvas (iOS 7.0+, Android 4.0+). This app is the easy to way for instructors to collect student opinion in their classrooms without any extra devices.
- SpeedGrader App (iOS 8.0+ iPad only; Android 4.0+). This app is specifically designed for instructors and allows them to grade student submissions on the go. Syncs with SpeedGrader and the Gradebook. View SpeedGrader mobile features by version and device.
You can learn more about mobile applications in the Canvas Mobile Guides.