What are Announcements?
Announcements allow you to communicate with your students about course activities and post interesting course-related topics.
Announcements are used to communicate with students about the logistics of your course. As soon as you have created an Announcement, Canvas takes care of notifying students according to their preferred Notification Preferences, through Facebook, Twitter, SMS (text message), or email.
In Canvas, you have the option of feeding posts from your blog or other information sources directly into your Announcements page using RSS. RSS feeds can be filtered by keyword to prevent irrelevant content from entering the course. Students who use RSS readers can subscribe to course Announcements outside of Canvas.
When would I use Announcements?
Use Announcements to:
- Remind your students what they need to accomplish to stay on track.
- Point students to internal and external resources that will help them achieve course Outcomes.
- Leave a message for the entire class with video or audio comments.
- Celebrate student success and important events that may be of interest to your students.
- Feed a custom RSS feed related to the topic of the course to your students.
- Automatically share blog posts written by your students on Wordpress, Blogger, etc. with custom RSS feeds.