What are Conferences for instructors?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). Depending on your Canvas view, your page design may vary from the images shown in this lesson. However, the functionality and location of the components remain the same.
Conferences are primarily used for virtual lectures, virtual office hours, and student groups. They can also be used to demonstrate technologies or troubleshoot technology issues online.
Conferences makes it easy to conduct synchronous (real-time) lectures for all of the students in your course. Conferences allows you to broadcast real-time audio, video, demo applications on your desktop, share presentation slides, or demo any online resources. Currently, Canvas integrates with BigBlueButton.
Note: BigBlueButton can accommodate approximately 50 users in a conference at one time. A conference will remain active on Big Blue Button as long as one person is part of the conference room. When the last person leaves, the conference will conclude and all files and chats will be removed.
When would I use Conferences?
Use Conferences to:
- Connect with your students for online office hours or special study sessions designed to help them prepare for a test.
- Connect with your colleagues for professional development webinars.
- Practice presenting online. Students can set up practice presentations in their student Groups.
- Invite special guests to your classroom by adding them as a student or observer to your course.
- Broadcast a live event or lecture to the students that can't be onsite.
- Record your conferences so students can view them at a later date. Note: Recordings are automatically deleted 14 days after the conference ends.
How do I use the Conference Index Page?
Conferences are grouped in two parts: New Conferences  and Concluded Conferences . Both always display the name  and the description  of the conference.
Note: Students can only view conferences to which they have been invited.
Once a conference has ended, it will be displayed in Concluded conferences. Concluded conferences show the date of the conference .
For recorded conferences, Canvas displays the length of the conference . The length of the conference is indicated in hours:minutes (e.g. 0:18 is 18 minutes).
The View button will not appear until the conference has been rendered for playback. Depending on the length of your conference, this process may take several hours .
Note: Recordings are automatically deleted 14 days after the conference ends.