What are the default Canvas Notification Preferences?
Canvas offers a variety of notifications that you can receive about your course. Notification preferences are located in your Canvas user profile.
Notifications are sent to Canvas contact methods as specified in your account. Learn how Notification Preferences work.
Each Canvas notification defaults to a specific notification type, but you can set your notification preferences at any time.
Note: The Canvas by Instructure Android app supports notification preferences. However, setting preferences inside the app will override preferences in the browser version of Canvas, and some preferences are not supported.
View Notification Descriptions
When you hover over the name of the notification, you can view the details of the notification and adjust your preferences. Note: Some notifications are for instructors and admins only as noted in the hover descriptions:
- Due Date: Assignment due date change
- Grading Policies: Course grading policy change
- Course Content: Change to course content including WikiPage, Assignment, and Quiz content
- Files: New file added to your course. Canvas will only notify you of new files in a course once they have been updated.
- Announcement: New announcement in your course
- Announcement Created By You: You can see what announcements you have sent. Also, if you allow replies, a notification will be sent for announcement replies.
- Grading: Includes assignments/submission grade entered/changed, unmuted assignment grade, grade weight changed. Check the Include scores when alerting about grade changes checkbox if you want to see your grades in your notifications. If you aren't using your institutional email address, be aware that sensitive information will be sent outside the institution.
- Invitation: Includes invitations to web conferences, collaborations, groups, course, peer review and peer review reminders
- All Submissions (Instructor & Admin only): Assignment submission/resubmission
- Late Grading (Instructor & Admin only): Late assignment submission
- Submission Comment: Assignment submission comment
- Discussion: New discussion topic in your course
- Discussion Post: New discussion post in a topic you're subscribed to
- Added to Conversation: You are added to a conversation
- Conversation Message: New Inbox message
- Conversations Created By Me: You created a conversation
- Student Appointment Signups (Instructor & Admin only): Student appointment signup using Scheduler
- Appointment Signups: New appointment on your calendar
- Student Appointment Cancelations: Appointment cancelation
- Appointment Availability (Instructor & Admin only): Change to appointment time slots
- Calendar: New and changed items on your course calendar
- Group Membership Updates: Group enrollment, accepted/rejected membership; (Admin only) pending enrollment activated
- Administrative Notifications (Instructor & Admin only): includes course enrollment, report generated, context export, migration export, new account user, new student group
- Recording Ready: Conference recording is ready to view.
View Default Notification Preferences
For email whitelist purposes, notifications will be sent from an email address ending in instructure.com.
By default, your notifications will be set as follows:
- Due Date: Emailed weekly
- Grading Policy changes: Emailed weekly
- Course Content: Emailed never
- Files: Emailed never
- Announcements Emailed right away
- Announcement Created By You: Emailed never
- Grading notifications: Emailed right away
- New Invitations: Emailed right away
- All Submissions: Emailed never
- Late Grading: Emailed daily
- Submission Comments: Emailed daily
- Discussion: Emailed never
- Discussion Post: Emailed daily
- Added to Conversation: Emailed right away
- Conversation Messages: Emailed right away
- Conversations Created By Me: Never
- Student Appointment Signups: Emailed never
- Appointment Signups: Emailed right away
- Appointment Cancelations: Emailed right away
- Appointment Availability: Emailed right away
- Calendar changes: Emailed never
- Membership Update: Emailed daily
- Administrative Notifications: Emailed daily
- Recording Ready: ASAP