What is the Calendar?
One of the challenges facing both students and teachers is keeping track of all of the assignments planned throughout the term. Teachers are teaching multiple courses and students are learning in multiple courses. Every class has its own timeline for when things need to be done. The Calendar helps everyone stay on schedule and up to date.
Helpful tips about the calendar:
- The Calendar is used for reminding students of graded Assignments with specific due dates. To provide students with detailed descriptions of how synchronous class time will be used, consider using Pages or customizing the Course Home Page.
- The Calendar automatically syncs with other features in Canvas, such as Assignments, Syllabus, and Grades, so if you create, change, or delete the due date of an Assignment on the Calendar, it will show up in all the others and vice versa. You can change dates easily by dragging and dropping assignments from one date to another.
- The Calendar in Canvas is a global feature, meaning you can see all of your assignments from all of your courses in one place. If your Calendar becomes too crowded, you can filter the number of events listed on your Calendar by selecting or deselecting courses in the Sidebar.
Note: iOS users can sync the Canvas calendar with the calendars on their mobile devices. For more details visit the Mobile Guides.
After clicking the Calendar link, you will see the Calendar Month with the events , the mini Calendar , and the Calendar list for courses and/or groups . Learn more details about the calendar view in our calendar view lesson.
When would I use the Calendar?
- View and create activities in your course as well as events and personal reminders; you can also filter the calendar view to only see specific calendars.
- Quickly add Assignments to a blank course. Fill in the details of those Assignments later.
- Adjust the dates of Assignments that have been imported from previous terms. Canvas makes it easy to drag and drop events across multiple months.
- Copy the iCal feed for all of your courses and import it to your preferred personal Calendar, such as Google or Outlook.
- Schedule appointments with students using the Scheduler (optional feature).
Note: You can use keyboard shortcuts to navigate the Calendar. Press the comma key and a pop-up window with keyboard shortcuts will appear for keyboard navigation.