What are Assignments?
Assignments include Quizzes, graded Discussions, and online submissions (i.e. files, images, text, URLs, etc.) Assignments in Canvas can be used to challenge students' understanding and help assess competency by using a variety of media. The Assignments page will show your students all of the Assignments that will be expected of them and how many points each is worth.
How are Assignments used?
Assignments can be used to:
- Assess how well students are achieving course Outcomes
- Set up online submissions that can be quickly graded in the SpeedGrader™
- Grade online as well as student work submitted "on-paper"
- Create varied due dates for sections
- Set up peer reviews
- Grade Discussions, either by the whole class or student groups
- Open Quizzes for a limited amount of time
- Record attendance
- Create ungraded activities that align with course Outcomes
Where do Assignments appear in Canvas?
Any Assignment you create and publish on the Assignments page will automatically show up in the Grades, Calendar, and Syllabus features so students can view them. The reverse is also true: any Assignments you create in the Calendar will automatically show up in the Grades, Assignments, and Syllabus features.
To access an assignment, click the name of the assignment.
You can also organize assignments by placing them in Modules.
Note: You can use keyboard shortcuts to navigate the Assignments page. Press the comma key and a pop-up window with keyboard shortcuts will appear for keyboard navigation.