What is the Course Import Tool?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). Depending on your Canvas view, your page design may vary from the images shown in this lesson. However, the functionality and location of the components remain the same.
The Course Import Tool makes it easy to extract course content, assignments, and quizzes from previous semesters and quickly import them into existing courses. The same tool is used to import course materials from different Learning Management Systems.
When Would I Use the Course Import Tool?
Accessed from the Course Settings sidebar, use the Course Import Tool to:
Copy an entire course from semester to semester, including Announcements and Discussions. You can adjust the events and due dates to coordinate with your current semester.
Select migrations content to select specific content you want copied. You can select individual Assignments, Pages, Files, and anything else from previous courses you or your colleagues have taught. The Course Import Tool supports keyboard navigation when selecting content to import.
Import course materials from different Learning Management Systems. The Course Import Tool does not import user content.
Choose Import Source
Some of the Learning Management Systems currently supported in the Course Import Tool include:
- Copy a Canvas Course
- Canvas Course Export Package (courses that were previously exported from Canvas)
- Unzip .zip file into folder
- Angel export .zip format
- Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export .zip file
- Blackboard Vista/CE, Web CT 6+ Course
- Common Cartridge 1.0/1.1/1.2 Package
- Desire2Learn (D2L) export .zip format
- Moodle 1.9/2.x .zip file
- QTI .zip file
When importing content, the tool allows you to import all content or select specific content. This feature is useful for institutions or instructors who only want to copy specific elements of a course, such as assignments or modules.
The following behaviors currently apply to Canvas copies or imports:
- Copying content retains any links or files associated with the content, such as in an assignment.
- Group sets do not copy as part of the import. Any assignments or graded discussions associated with a group set are assigned to a new group set called Project Groups.
- When selecting assignments only, Canvas imports all assessment items within the Assignments page (including any associated quizzes and discussions). Assignments are placed in an assignment group called Imported Assignments. However, assignments can be moved into other assignment groups as necessary.
Adjust Events and Due Dates
In addition to recreating the structure and content of the course, the Course Import Tool can adjust events and due dates to the new date ranges of the new semester.