How do I copy content from another Canvas course?
You can copy course content such as assignments, modules, pages, and discussions from previous Canvas courses into existing courses.
This option allows you to copy content into existing courses. You may be able to copy content into a new course shell.
- Draft State settings are retained in course imports. If an assignment is unpublished in a course, the assignment will also be unpublished in the content import.
- Importing a course more than once may have unintended consequences. If you import content into a new course, edit the content in the new course, and later import the previous content again, the imported content will override the existing content.
- Not all content can be copied as part of a course. Learn about content imports.
Search for a Course
In the Search for a course drop-down menu , select the course you would like to access. You can also choose to include completed courses by selecting the completed courses checkbox .
To search for a course by name, enter the name in the Course Name field . Click the name of the course when it appears.
- If you have access to more than 100 courses, the search page only displays the Course Name field.
- If you are an instructor, you can only import content from your previous courses. Admins can import content from any course in the account.
Select Migration Content
To import all content from the course, select the All Content radio button .
If you want to select specific content, click the Select specific content radio button .
Note: If you select the specific content option, you are required to select the content you want to import after you review the remaining page options. After you start importing the content, the import selection cannot be canceled.
Adjust Events and Due Dates
If you want to adjust the due dates associated with the course events and assignments, click the Adjust events and due dates checkbox.
View Current Jobs
The Current Jobs section displays the status of your import. Running reports display a menu bar with the time remaining to complete the import .
If you chose to select specific content in your course, the current job will show as Waiting for Select , which means you must select the content you want to import.
The import may also display other status indicators as part of the import process. Learn more about course import statuses.
View the content from any completed imports by accessing any link in Course Navigation.