When would I use Focused Discussions?
Focused Discussions are relatively short-lived interactions that tend to "disappear" as the course progresses, such as a weekly forum for questions related to that week's activities.
View Focused Discussion
Use a Focused Discussion for single posts and related comments. One discussion leader typically posts a message and multiple learners comment on it. Participants may leave a side comment to a reply, but cannot develop the conversation beyond two layers of nesting.
Focused Discussions might also be used to:
- answer a single question
- share resources amongst peers
- collect results from a simple research activity
- share solutions to a single problem
- correct misconceptions
- clarify course policies
- get feedback on a work in progress
- share insights about a single reading