Which browsers does Canvas support?
Because it's built using web standards, Canvas runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, or any other device with a modern web browser.
Canvas supports the last two versions of every browser release. We highly recommend updating to the newest version of whatever browser you are using as well as the most up-to-date Flash plug-in.
As of May 17, 2013, we support the following browsers and Flash versions:
- Internet Explorer 9 and 10
- Chrome 24, 25, and 26
- Safari 5 and 6
- Firefox 19, 20, and 21
- Flash 9, 10, and 11 (if you want to use the audio/video recording or viewing feature or upload files)
Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating "Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas." If you have upgraded your browser but you are still seeing the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies. Click here for help with clearing your cache.
Flash is required in several places in Canvas: media recording/streaming and viewing as well as uploading files to a course or an assignment. Other than these features, Flash is not required to use most areas of Canvas.
The Java plug-in is required for screen sharing in Conferences. Otherwise, there are no other browser plug-ins used by Canvas.
There are only two hard requirements:
- No versions prior to IE 9—they're just too old to be able to do the interactive things Canvas does.
If you are using an unsupported browser, you can update your browser, or you can dismiss the warning banner during the duration of your browser session. For instance, testing centers can dismiss the banner and it won't appear until the next browser session.
Update Your Browser
There are a couple of different ways to update your browser.
1. Every time you open your browser, it will check to make sure it is using the most current version. If it is not updated, your browser will prompt you with a notification and walk you through the update process.
2. Download the latest version of your browser directly. Click the name of your browser below to visit your browser's download page: