How do I create a Homeroom announcement as an instructor?
Homeroom announcements display for all users in their Homeroom. A homeroom announcement displays for 2 weeks or until it is replaced by a new announcement. Only the latest homeroom announcement will display in the Homeroom.
- Your homeroom must be published for students to receive announcement notifications. If you import an announcement from another Canvas course, new announcement notifications will not send to course users.
- If an announcement is created before the homeroom start date and the Students can only participate in the course between these dates setting is enabled, students will not receive announcement notifications.
In Global Navigation, click the Homeroom link.
Add Homeroom Announcement
If your Homeroom tab  is not currently displaying an announcement, you can add a new announcement by clicking the Add Announcement button .
Note: Only one homeroom announcement displays at a time. If you have an existing homeroom announcement, the Add Announcement button does not display. To replace the current announcement with a new announcement, click the Homeroom link .
Type a title for the announcement in the Topic Title field  and add content in the Rich Content Editor .
By default, Canvas will send your announcement to all sections within your homeroom course. To select specific sections for your announcement, click the Post to drop-down menu and select sections from the list provided.
Note: If your course does not have sections, Canvas will still show the All Sections option, and all homeroom course users can view the announcement.
To add an attachment to your discussion, click the Choose File button .
If required by your institution, you will need to select usage right settings for your attachment. To manage usage right settings, click the Set usage rights icon .
In the Usage Right drop-down menu , select one of five usage rights:
- I hold the copyright (original content created by you)
- I have obtained permission to use the file (authorized permission by the author)
- The material is in the public domain (explicitly assigned to public domain, cannot be copyrighted, or is no longer protected by copyright)
- The material is subject to an exception - e.g. fair use, the right to quote, or others under applicable copyright laws (excerpt or summary used for commentary, news reporting, research, or analysis in education)
- The material is licensed under Creative Commons; this option also requires setting a specific Creative Commons license
If known, enter the copyright holder information in the Copyright Holder field .
To save your usage right settings, click the Save button . You can edit usage right settings by clicking the Set usage rights icon.
In the Options section, you can schedule to post your announcement at a future date clicking the Delay posting checkbox .
Use the Calendar icon  to select a post date or type the date in the Post At field .
Click the Save button.
Note: Unless you are using the delay posting option in Announcements, once you click Save, your announcement will immediately be posted in the Homeroom.
View Announcement in Homeroom
View the announcement in the Homeroom .
A homeroom announcement displays for 2 weeks or until it is replaced by a new announcement. Only the latest homeroom announcement will display in the Homeroom.
To edit the announcement, click the Edit icon .
View Unpublished Homeroom Warning
Your Homeroom must be published for students to receive announcement notifications. If your homeroom has not been published, a warning message displays in the Homeroom.