Enabling Badge Award Sharing in Canvas
Teachers who are using the Badgr LTI in Canvas may enable the ability for students to share badge details with other students in the course. By enabling badge award sharing from a course leaderboard, students can view badge award details of other students, including their email addresses and date of badge award, and view any (optional) evidence URLs the badge contains.
The leaderboard must be enabled to use this feature.
Enabling badge award sharing
Enabling sharing allows students to choose what to share if anything. To enable this feature do the following:
- Sign in to Canvas as a teacher and access an individual course that has the Badgr LTI installed.
- Go to the Leaderboard tab of the Badges menu and enable the leaderboard by checking the box.
- Once the leaderboard has been turned on, check the box labeled Enable badge award sharing.
- Refresh your browser window. This will allow students to select the corresponding box on their leaderboard, permitting them to opt-in or out of sharing their badges.
You may optionally allow students to display their real name in a course by checking Enable name sharing. An eye icon under the student (or animal) name on the leaderboard indicates sharing has been enabled. Students or teachers will see an eye icon under student names who have chosen to share their badges.
If a student shares badge awards but does not enable name sharing, their email address will still be displayed on the badge.
Student view of badge sharing
Although the course instructor can enable the ability for students to share their badge details and name, the student will ultimately choose what they want to share.
- From the leaderboard, students can see the same controls as the teacher and may check either or both boxes to enable sharing.
- Students or teachers will see an eye icon under student names who have chosen to share their badges.
Badge Award Sharing Disabled
Badge Award Sharing Enabled