Setting module completion requirements in Canvas
Badgr in Canvas can be configured to award badges automatically based on module completion requirements. Module completion requirements can be set based on a combination of assignment grades, quiz scores, submission, content viewed, and module prerequisites. Badges are linked to Canvas modules using the Badgr LTI and are awarded based on the completion requirements the module has configured.
Basics of awarding badges in Canvas
Module completion requirements must be added to each module with which you've associated a badge.
If a badge is not being awarded as expected, module completion requirements should be reexamined.
Modules and courses need to be published in order for badges to be automatically awarded.
Prerequisites can be used in conjunction with requirements, however only requirements will trigger badge awards.
Setting module completion requirements
- Log into your Canvas course and click the Modules menu option.
- Click the gear icon that is adjacent to the module title.
- Choose Edit from the gear menu dropdown.
- A dialog box will open that gives you several options for adding prerequisites and requirements. Prerequisites are optional, module completion requirements are required. Prerequisites will not trigger badge awards, only requirements.
- Choose the requirement(s) and/or prerequisites that match the goals of your course and badging program. Self-paced courses may opt to use "view the item" or "mark as done" whereas courses with rigor may opt to use "submit the assignment" or "score at least".
- Click the Update module button to finish, then observe your completion rules displayed within the module.
- In the example below, the student only has to complete one of the requirements (quiz or lesson plan).
Learn more about:
You can view a student's progress from the modules menu in a Canvas course to verify that a student should have received a badge. Use that view to navigate between students who should and should not have met the criteria to verify that the criteria are being defined correctly. If Badgr has awarded badges to students who should not have earned that badge, it means the module requirements are incorrectly configured in Canvas and should be sorted out. After correcting that problem, you can either revoke that were awarded mistakenly or clear out the badge assigned to the module and reassign it. Just make sure before doing this that you have fixed the problem with the completion rules so that incorrect badges are not re-awarded the next time Badgr checks progress when you view the progress screen.