Creating and awarding badges with expiration dates in Badgr
Adding an expiration date to a badge can be done when the badge is created or when it's awarded. If the expiration is set at the time the badge is created, the expiration will persist with each badge awarded. If you set an expiration when the badge is awarded, it will apply only to that badge.
Once a badge has expired, the badge will display in black and white and the “Expired” label will be displayed in the backpack and in Canvas courses.
Setting an expiration duration when creating or editing a badge
- Access the badge you wish to add an expiration date to and access the Edit button.
- In edit mode or when creating a badge, navigate to the Additional info tab and scroll down until you locate the Expiration option.
- Select an option from the duration dropdown.
- Enter a number for the number of days, weeks, etc. that the badge will be valid.
- Once done, continue editing the badge or select Save changes to finish.
Expiration duration will be visible on the badge details page below the title. You can see the expiration of a specific award from the badge details page on the awards tab.
Note that only whole numbers are accepted for the duration.
Removing an expiration from a badge
If you need to remove an expiration duration from a badge, edit the badge, select the Additional info tab and scroll down to the expiration section. Select Does not expire to clear the fields and then Save changes to update the badge.
Expirations and badge recipients
Badge earners will see the date the badge expires on the badge details page when viewing the badge in their backpack. Once the badge expires, it will be marked as expired in the recipient's backpack.
Setting an expiration date when awarding a badge
Users can set an expiration date when awarding a badge.
- From the Award badge page, scroll down to the expiration section.
- Issuers are able to choose from a default expiration, custom or no expiration when awarding the badge.
- Complete the form with the desired information and award the badge.
Entering a custom expiration date at the time of the award will overwrite a duration expiration associated with the badge.
Adding an expiration date when awarding badges in bulk
An expiration column can be optionally added to a CSV file that is used for bulk awarding badges. When awarding badges using a CSV file, a duration expiration (eg. 2 days) that is set when editing the badge will be overwritten. If there's a specific date in the expiration column, then the date from the CSV file will be used. If there's no date listed in the CSV, then the awards will not expire.