How do I create a hyperlink or embed a file from Google Drive into the New Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
If your course has enabled Google Apps, you can create a document, slide presentation, or spreadsheet using Google Drive and then embed that document anywhere you can use the New Rich Content Editor in Canvas. Several features in Canvas support the New Rich Content Editor, including Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, and Syllabus. When embedded, Google slide presentations default to presentation mode.
In Google, you can link or embed files. When files are linked in the New Rich Content Editor, the link displays the exact name of the file. Please ensure your file names are correct before linking a file. For embedded files, any time you edit the Google file, the edits also display in Canvas.
- If you cannot view the Google Drive option in the New Rich Content Editor LTI Tools menu, you can still include your file by creating a hyperlink or publishing your Google content to the web and pasting the embed code in the HTML editor.
- The New Rich Content Editor is currently a course opt-in feature. You can manage your course features in Course Settings.
Open New Rich Content Editor
Open the New Rich Content Editor when creating or editing an announcement, assignment, discussion, page, quiz, or syllabus.
Note: The Rich Content Editor supports keyboard shortcuts. To view the Keyboard Shortcuts menu, click the Keyboard icon or press ALT+F8 (PC keyboard) or ALT+FN+F8 (Mac keyboard).
Click the Apps icon .
Note: To view the Apps icon, you may need to click the Options icon 
Click the Google link .
You can also filter menu options using the Search field .
Note: If the Google link does not display, the LTI may not be enabled in your course. You can still include your file by creating a hyperlink or publishing your Google content to the web and pasting the embed code in the HTML editor.
Locate and click the file(s) you want to link.
Embed or Link File
To embed the file, click the Embed button . The New Rich Content Editor will display a placeholder image for the file.
To link the file, click the Link button . The New Rich Content Editor will display a link with the name of the file.
View Embedded File
View the embedded Google file in the New Rich Content Editor.
View File Link
View the link to the Google file in the New Rich Content Editor.
Click the Save button.
- The assignment, discussion, pages, and quizzes details pages display a Save & Publish button.
- The Syllabus page displays an Update Syllabus button.
- Discussion replies display a Post Reply button.