How do I upload and embed an image in the New Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
You can embed images in the New Rich Content Editor. Image files can be uploaded from your computer, selected from Unsplash, or added using a URL. You can also embed images from your course and user files.
Several features in Canvas support the New Rich Content Editor, including Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, and Syllabus.
- Images uploaded from your computer using the image upload tool are added to your course files.
- If you are using Usage Rights, you must set the file usage rights before the file will be accessible to students.
- The New Rich Content Editor is currently a course opt-in feature. You can manage your course features in Course Settings.
Open New Rich Content Editor
Open the New Rich Content Editor when creating or editing an announcement, assignment, discussion, page, quiz, or syllabus.
Note: The Rich Content Editor supports keyboard shortcuts. To view a window with a list of keyboard navigation shortcuts, press Alt+F8 (on a PC keyboard) or Option+Fn+F8 (on a Mac keyboard) simultaneously on your keyboard.
Upload Image from Toolbar
To upload an image from the toolbar, click the Image icon .
You can also upload an image from the image options menu. To view additional image options, click the Image Options arrow . Then select the Upload Image option .
Note: To view the Image icon, you may have to click the Options icon .
Upload Image from Menubar
You can also upload an image using the menubar in the New Rich Content Editor. The menubar displays the title of Rich Content Editor tools and may be preferable for those using keyboard navigation.
To upload an image using the menubar, click the Insert menu , select the Image option , and select the Upload Image option .
Upload Image from Computer
By default, the Image Upload Tool displays the Computer tab . Click or drag and drop an image file to the image uploader to upload a file from your computer .
Note: Images uploaded from your computer using the image upload tool are added to your course files.
Select the image file  and click the Open button .
View Selected File
The uploader displays the image file name  and an image preview . To remove the image, click the Delete icon .
Upload Image from Unsplash
To upload an image from Unsplash, click the Unsplash tab .
Enter a search term in the Search Term field  and select from the displayed options . To view more image options, click the page navigation links .
Upload Image from URL
To upload an image using a URL, click the URL tab .
Enter the URL in the File URL field .
Manage Usage Rights
If required by your institution, you will need to select usage right settings for your image.
In the Usage Right drop-down menu , select one of the five usage right options:
- I hold the copyright: original content created by you
- I have obtained permission to use the file: authorized permission by the author
- The material is in the public domain: explicitly assigned to public domain, cannot be copyrighted, or is no longer protected by copyright
- The material is subject to an exception - e.g. fair use, the right to quote, or others under applicable copyright laws: excerpt or summary used for commentary, news reporting, research, or analysis in education
- The material is licensed under Creative Commons: this option also requires setting a specific Creative Commons license
If known, enter the copyright holder information in the Copyright Holder field .
Note: If you are an instructor and are not sure which usage right applies to your image, please consult your institutional admin for guidance.
Manage Image Attributes
To add Alt Text to your image, type an alternative text description or text tags in the Alt Text field . By default, the Alt Text field displays the image file name. Alt text is read by screen readers, and it displays when an embedded image cannot display.
If the image is decorative and does not require alt text, select the Decorative Image option .
By default, the Embed Image display option is selected for embedded images .
To display the image file link, select the Display Text Link display option . The file link will replace the image in the New Rich Content Editor.
Embed Image Upload
To embed your selected image, click the Submit button.
Note: The image will flash before it embeds in the New Rich Content Editor.
View Embedded Image
View your uploaded image in the New Rich Content Editor. You can also add or modify alt text tags and manage the image display options.
Click the Save button.
- The assignment, discussion, pages, and quizzes details pages display a Save & Publish button.
- The Syllabus page displays an Update Syllabus button.
- Discussion replies display a Post Reply button.
View the content created in the New Rich Content Editor.