How do I upload and embed an image in the New Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
You can embed images in the New Rich Content Editor. Image files can be uploaded from your computer, selected from Unsplash, or added using a URL. You can also embed images from your course and user files.
Several features in Canvas support the New Rich Content Editor, including Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, and Syllabus.
- Images uploaded from your computer using the image upload tool are added to your course files.
- If you are using Usage Rights, you must set the file usage rights before the file will be accessible to students.
- The New Rich Content Editor is currently a course opt-in feature. You can manage your course features in Course Settings.
Open New Rich Content Editor
Open the New Rich Content Editor when creating or editing an announcement, assignment, discussion, page, quiz, or syllabus.
Note: The Rich Content Editor supports keyboard shortcuts. To view a window with a list of keyboard navigation shortcuts, press the Shift+Question Mark keys simultaneously on your keyboard.
Open Image Upload Tool
Click the Images icon  and select the Upload Image option .
Note: To view the Images icon, you may have to click the Options icon .
Upload Image from Computer
By default, the Image Upload Tool displays the Computer tab . Click or drag and drop an image file to the image uploader to upload a file from your computer .
Note: Images uploaded from your computer using the image upload tool are added to your course files.
Select the image file  and click the Open button .
View Selected File
The uploader displays the image file name  and an image preview . To remove the image, click the Delete icon .
Upload Image from Unsplash
To upload an image from Unsplash, click the Unsplash tab .
Enter a search term in the Search Term field  and select from the displayed options . To view more image options, click the page navigation links .
Upload Image from URL
To upload an image using a URL, click the URL tab .
Enter the URL in the File URL field .
Embed Image Upload
To embed your selected image, click the Submit button.
Note: The image will flash before it embeds in the New Rich Content Editor.
View Embedded Image
View your uploaded image in the New Rich Content Editor. You can also add alt text tags and manage the image display options.
Click the Save button.
- The assignment, discussion, pages, and quizzes details pages display a Save & Publish button.
- The Syllabus page displays an Update Syllabus button.
- Discussion replies display a Post Reply button.
View the content created in the New Rich Content Editor.