How do I embed course and user documents in the New Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
You can use the New Rich Content Editor to insert hyperlinks to document files stored in your course and user files.
By default, embedded document links display an icon that allows users to preview the document in the Rich Content Editor. You can disable the in-line preview or open the in-line preview automatically.
- If you set a file as not visible to students in Course Files and link to that file in the New Rich Content Editor, students will be able to view that file using the link in the New Rich Content Editor.
- The New Rich Content Editor is currently a course opt-in feature. You can manage your course features in Course Settings.
Open New Rich Content Editor
Open the New Rich Content Editor when creating or editing an announcement, assignment, discussion, page, quiz, or syllabus.
Note: The Rich Content Editor supports keyboard shortcuts. To view the Keyboard Shortcuts menu, click the Keyboard icon or press ALT+F8 (PC keyboard) or ALT+FN+F8 (Mac keyboard).
Select Link Location
To insert a link displaying the name of the file, click to place your cursor in the location in the New Rich Content Editor where you want the link to appear .
To insert a hyperlink to a course content item, select the text for your hyperlink .
In the toolbar, click the Document Options arrow . To view course documents, click the Course Documents option . To view your user documents, click the User Documents option .
Note: To view the Documents icon, you may have to click the Options icon .
View and Sort Files
By default, the Add menu displays all files in your selected file source .
To sort the displayed files by image, document, or media file type, click the Type drop-down menu .
To sort the displayed files by date added or alphabetically, click the Sort by drop-down menu .
Click the name of the file you want to link in the New Rich Content Editor.
Note: The text will flash before turning into the hyperlink.
View the link displaying the name of the file  or the hyperlinked text .
To manage options for the link, click the link title  and click the Link Options link .
View Link Options
You can edit the link text in the Text field  or link URL in the Link field .
To disable in-line preview, click the Disable in-line preview checkbox . To automatically open in-line preview, click the Automatically open an in-line preview checkbox .
- Inline preview is not supported in the Canvas beta environment.
- Inline preview is not supported in Edit mode.
Click the Save button.
- The assignment, discussion, pages, and quizzes details pages display a Save & Publish button.
- The Syllabus page displays an Update Syllabus button.
- Discussion replies display a Post Reply button.
View the content. To download the linked file, click the link name . To open the document in-line preview, click the Preview icon .
Note: Links to external URLs display an Open icon .