How do I create a Turnitin assignment?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). Depending on your Canvas view, your page design may vary from the images shown in this lesson. However, the functionality and location of the components remain the same.
You can enable Turnitin as part of a new Canvas assignment. Turnitin is enabled on a per-assignment basis in Canvas. Turnitin uses your user role for authentication and uses your Canvas account to create and manage assignments.
This lesson shows how to create an assignment for the Turnitin LTI. If your assignments view varies from the steps show in this lesson, your institution is using the Turnitin Plugin. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
The Turnitin LTI allows you to manage both assignment and Turnitin settings within Canvas; however, they must be managed separately. You may find that the best workflow is to create the assignment and manage Turnitin settings before publishing the assignment for student view.
The Turnitin LTI currently includes a few limitations when creating assignments:
- You cannot use Turnitin with group assignments.
- You cannot restrict student submission types. By default Turnitin always allows students to submit their assignment as a text entry or upload any supported file type: Text (.txt), Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt/.pptx), Postcript (.ps), Portable Document Format (.pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), HyperText Markup Language (.html), WordPerfect (.wp), Hangul (.hwp), or Open Office (.odt/.ods/.odp). They can also upload an assignment from Google Drive or Dropbox. Turnitin does not allow students to submit unsupported file types.
- Students cannot submit multiple file uploads.
- If you want to use a Canvas rubric for the assignment, you must add the rubric before setting the External Tool submission type. Create the assignment with any other submission type, save the assignment, add the rubric, and then edit the assignment to select the External Tool.
- If you want your assignment to be moderated, you must set up the moderated assignment before setting the External Tool submission type. If you need to return to the moderate page after the External Tool is added, open the assignment and add /moderate after the assignment URL.
Note: The first time you create an assignment, you need to review and agree to the Turnitin User Agreement.
Add Assignment Details
In the Assignment Name field , create a name for the assignment. In the Description field , enter the details of the assignment for your students. When students view the assignment, the description appears at the top of the page. However, the text shouldn't be significantly long in this space. If necessary, you can include additional instructions for the assignment as part of the assignment Turnitin settings.
Enter the number of points for the assignment , select the Assignment Group , and select the grading type from the Display Grade as menu .
In the Submission Type drop-down menu , select the External Tool option.
Click the External Tool URL field .
Note: If you want to use a Canvas rubric for the assignment, you must add the rubric before setting the External Tool submission type. Additionally, if you want to apply moderated grading, you must set up moderated grading before setting the External Tool submission type.
Configure External Tool
Edit Due and Availability Dates
Set due or availability dates for the assignment. These dates appear throughout Canvas like regular assignments.
By default, Canvas will set your assignment dates for everyone in your course . However, you can assign the assignment to a specific student or section. Create a due date for the assignment in the Due Date field . The due date will already be populated for you if you created an assignment shell, but you can change it if necessary. You also have the option to add availability date fields .
- If you set an Until date for the assignment, students will not be able to access the LTI tool to view their feedback.
- Depending on your LTI configuration, dates created in the assignment may be passed back to Turnitin. Be sure to confirm your dates in the assignment Turnitin settings.