How do I change Turnitin settings for an assignment?
As part of a Turnitin assignment, you must specify the settings that are allowed for student submissions. Turnitin settings must be created or confirmed before students can view the assignment.
The LTI currently includes a few limitations in Turnitin settings:
- By default Turnitin always allows students to submit their assignment as a text entry or upload files that can generate Originality Reports: Text (.txt), Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt/.pptx/.pps/.ppsx), Microsoft Excel (.xls/.xlsx), PostScript (.ps/.eps), Portable Document Format (.pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), HyperText Markup Language (.html), WordPerfect (.wpd), Hangul (.hwp), and Open Office Text (.odt). They can also upload an assignment from Google Drive or Dropbox. In Turnitin settings, you can also allow students to submit any file that is less than 40 MB, has a minimum of 20 words, and is less than 400 pages.
- Assignments honor Turnitin resubmission settings; they do not automatically allow resubmissions like regular Canvas assignments.
Note: The Turnitin LTI is responsive to the size of your browser window. Your view of the Turnitin LTI may vary from the images shown in this lesson.
To open Turnitin settings, click the Settings tab.
The Turnitin LTI is responsive to the size of your browser window.
To open Turnitin settings in smaller window sizes, click the Menu button  and select the Settings option .
View Turnitin Settings
If you included a description in the assignment, the description displays at the top of the page . If you want to include additional instructions, you can enter them in the Instructions field . Instructions appear for students in the Assignment Summary tab.
To limit submissions to files that Turnitin can check for originality or expand submission to include all files, use the Allow submission of any file type? radio buttons .
- If you select the Yes button, any file can be submitted that is less than 40 MB, has a minimum of 20 words, and is less than 400 pages.
- If you select the No button, Turnitin will only accept files that meet the same file requirements and generate Originality Reports, which include the following file types: Text (.txt), Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt/.pptx/.pps/.ppsx), Microsoft Excel (.xls/.xlsx), PostScript (.ps/.eps), Portable Document Format (.pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), HyperText Markup Language (.html), WordPerfect (.wpd), Hangul (.hwp), and Open Office Text (.odt). Files can also be uploaded from Google Drive or Dropbox.
Turnitin Start and Due dates may be synced with Canvas. If dates differ from the dates created in the assignment, you can adjust them by using the calendar icon . If the assignment does not include an Available From date, Turnitin sets the date one day prior to the date the assignment was created. The feedback release date defaults to the due date. If no due date is set, the due date and the feedback release date default to one week after the date the assignment was created.
To view Turnitin optional settings, click the Optional settings link .
View Optional Settings
Turnitin allows you to specify additional settings in Turnitin.
To allow late submissions, select the Allow late submissions Yes or No radio button . This option sets whether or not you allow submissions after the due date. If you select the Yes button, students can submit an assignment after the due date if they have not already made a submission. If you select the No button, students cannot submit the assignment after the due date.
For paper comparisons , select the checkboxes for the sources you want to use when comparing assignment submissions.
In the Originality Report generation and resubmissions menu , you can choose when students can view originality reports and if they can resubmit their assignment to Turnitin. Select the option you want to allow for students to submit assignments:
- Generate reports immediately (resubmissions are not allowed)
- Generate reports immediately (resubmissions are allowed until due date)
- Generate reports on due date (resubmissions are allowed until due date)
If you want to exclude any resources, you can select the Yes or No radio button next to the appropriate option .
If you want to allow students to view Originality Reports , select the Yes or No radio button. If you select the Yes button, Turnitin displays the Originality Report according to the option you previously set in the Originality Report drop-down menu.
In the Submissions to this assignment will be stored in menu , select whether the submission should be stored in the standard paper repository or not stored at all.
Note: If you are creating a draft assignment, you may not want to have Turnitin store the submission.
If you want to add Peer Mark assignments to this assignment , select the Yes or No radio button. If you select Yes, once you save the assignment you cannot remove the Peer Mark assignments. For more information about Peer Mark Assignments please see the LTI Instructor User Manual on Turnitin's LTI page.
If you want to attach a Turnitin rubric to the assignment, select a rubric from the rubric menu .
If you want to save your Turnitin Settings options as your defaults for future assignments , select the Yes or No radio button.