How do I download grades from the Gradebook?
You can export scores from the Gradebook and download them to your computer as a CSV file. At the time of export, the CSV file data matches the current filter(s) and settings shown in the Gradebook.
Notes about CSV files:
- Some columns that appear in the CSV file are read-only columns calculated by rules or percentages set in Canvas. Any changes made to these columns will be ignored when you re-upload the file to your course.
- For assignment group columns, changes made to assignment scores will automatically be included in the assignment group calculation in the Gradebook.
- CSV downloads honor multiple grading periods and its Display Totals feature option. The Gradebook exports the grading period being viewed in the gradebook. For All Grading Periods, if Display Totals is not enabled, Total Score columns and assignment group totals are not included in the download.
- The Total Score displayed in the Gradebook reflects each students score at the time of viewing, taking into account whether the instructor has chosen to have ungraded assignments treated as zero, muted assignments, assignment due dates, etc. Therefore, the CSV download includes read-only columns for current and final score. Current score reflects the total while ignoring unsubmitted assignments, and the final score counts unsubmitted assignments as zero.
- If a student has submitted an assignment multiple times, the CSV file only accounts for the most recent submission.
- The notes column is not included in the Gradebook CSV export file.
- Concluded and inactive enrollments are not included in the CSV file unless their respective option, Show Concluded Enrollments or Show Inactive Enrollments, is enabled in the Gradebook Settings menu.
- Complete/incomplete assignments are shown as full or no credit (e.g. for a 10-point assignment, 10 or 0).
Click the Export button , then click the CSV File link .
When the export is completed, Canvas will download the CSV file automatically to your computer.
If you navigate away from the page during the export, the CSV file will appear as a previous download in the Gradebook export drop-down menu so it can be downloaded again. The Gradebook will show the date and time you requested the export.
If you made changes to the Gradebook after exporting a file and want to export a new file, click the CSV Fiile link again.
Edit the scores in Microsoft Excel. Make sure to save the file as a .csv file type.
Once you have made changes, you can upload it to your course.