How do I export grades from the Gradebook?
You can export scores from the Gradebook and download them to your computer as a CSV file. Exports are sorted first by assignment group as they appear on the Assignments Index page, then by assignment placement within an assignment group.
Notes about CSV files:
- Some columns that appear in the CSV file are read-only columns calculated by rules or percentages set in Canvas. Any changes made to these columns will be ignored when you re-upload the file to your course.
- For assignment group columns, changes made to assignment scores will automatically be included in the assignment group calculation in the Gradebook.
- CSV downloads honor multiple grading periods. The Gradebook exports the grading period being viewed in the Gradebook. For All Grading Periods, if the option to view total grades is not enabled, Total Score columns and assignment group totals are not included in the download.
- The Total Score displayed in the Gradebook reflects each student's score at the time of viewing, taking into account whether the instructor has muted assignments, assignment due dates, etc. The CSV download includes read-only columns for current and final scores. Current score reflects the total while ignoring unsubmitted assignments, and the final score counts unsubmitted assignments as zero. Muted assignments are unposted grades and shown in separate columns for unposted current score and unposted final score, respectively.
- If a student has submitted an assignment multiple times, the CSV file only accounts for the most recent submission.
- The notes column is not included in the Gradebook CSV export file.
- Concluded and inactive enrollments are not included in the CSV file unless their respective option, Show Concluded Enrollments or Show Inactive Enrollments, is enabled in the Gradebook Settings menu.
- Complete/incomplete assignments are shown as full or no credit (e.g. for a 10-point assignment, 10 or 0).
In Course Navigation, click the Grades link.
Click the Export button , then click the CSV File link .
When the export is completed, Canvas will download the CSV file automatically to your computer.
If you navigate away from the page during the export, the CSV file will appear as a previous download in the Gradebook export drop-down menu so it can be downloaded again. The Gradebook will show the date and time you requested the export.
If you made changes to the Gradebook after exporting a file and want to export a new file, click the CSV File link again.
Note: Gradebook export files include the date and time of the download to differentiate between multiple exports. The export filename format is YYYY-MM-DDTHHMM, followed by the course name.
Edit the scores in Microsoft Excel. Make sure to save the file as a .csv file type.
Once you have made changes, you can upload it to your course.
View Read-Only Columns
The CSV download includes read-only columns displaying current and final scores. These columns display for each assignment group in a course and for final course grades.
- Current Score: Refelcts scores for submitted, unmuted assignments
- Unposted Current Score: Reflects scores for submitted and muted assignments but excludes unsubmitted assignment scores
- Final Score: Reflects overall score including unsubmitted assignments as zero but excluding muted assignments
- Unposted Final Score: Reflects total score, including unsubmitted assignments as zero and muted assignments
- Current Grade: Reflects course grade based on submitted, unmuted assignments
- Unposted Current Grade: Reflects course grade based on submitted and muted assignments but excludes unsubmitted assignment scores
- Final Grade: Reflects course grade including unsubmitted assignments as zero but excluding muted assignments
- Unposted Final Grade: Reflects overall course grade, including unsubmitted assignments as zero and muted assignments