What options are available for Quizzes?
When you create a quiz, you can create a variety of options within each quiz.
Set Quiz Name, Quiz Type, and Assignment Group
There are 3 basic options when creating a quiz:
- Give the quiz a name.
- Select the quiz type.
- Categorize the quiz into the proper Assignment group. You can create Assignment Groups within Assignments.
Quiz settings have the following options:
- You can shuffle (randomize) answers.
- You can set a time limit. If no time limit is set, students will have unlimited time to complete the quiz.
- You can allow multiple attempts.
- You can let students see their quiz results.
- You can let students see which answers were correct.
- You can restrict the quiz so it can only be taken in specific situations.
- You can show one question at a time and lock questions after answering.
By default, quizzes will always let students see their quiz responses and see which answers were correct (options 4 and 5). If you do not want students to have these options, you will have to uncheck the boxes.
Set Quiz Options
A few of the settings contain expanded menus when selected:
1. Allow Multiple Attempts
- Choose whether to keep the highest or latest score of all attempts. By default Canvas will keep the highest score unless this setting is changed.
- Allow multiple attempts and limit the number of attempts. The default dashes represent unlimited attempts.
2. Restrict this Quiz
- Require an access code (given by a proctor) in order to start the quiz.
- Require students to take a quiz from computer lab with a specified IP address range.
Note: If you have the Respondus LockDown Browser enabled by your institution, using that browser will also appear as an option here. The Respondus LockDown Browser does not allow other windows to be opened during the quiz and helps prevent cheating.
3. Show One Question at a Time
- Lock questions after answering, meaning students cannot return to the previous question.
Set Due and Availability Dates
You can set the Due Date , Available From date , and available Until date  for the quiz.
- Due Date: Set the date and time that the Quiz is due.
- Available From: Set the date and time when the Quiz will become available.
- Until: Set the date and time when the Quiz will no longer be available.
If you have multiple sections in your course, learn how to set up varied due dates.
Other Quiz Options
When you view a quiz, you can:
- Edit a quiz
- Show a rubric to a quiz (or add one if none exists) and use the rubric to evaluate student answers (to essay questions, for example)
- Preview the quiz
- Lock this quiz now so that students can no longer access it (once it is locked the button will change to Manually unlock a quiz)
- Show quiz results from students who have taken the quiz
- Message students who have taken the quiz already or who haven't yet taken the quiz
- Delete this quiz
Related items you can do on other pages but related to the quiz:
8. Show quiz statistics
9. Moderate this quiz and grant students more time or additional attempts
10. Grade quiz in the SpeedGrader™