How do I create a Discussion as a student?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). Depending on your Canvas view, your page design may vary from the images shown in this lesson. However, the functionality and location of the components remain the same.
You can create new discussions in your course.
Note: If the Add Discussion button does not appear, your instructor has restricted this setting in your course. However, this setting does not affect discussions in course groups. Learn how to start a discussion with your group.
Click the Add Discussion button.
Create your discussion by utilizing the following options:
- Enter your topic title in the topic title field.
- Use the Rich Content Editor to format your content.
- Attach a file to your discussion. (Note: If the attachment option does not appear, your instructor has restricted this setting. Depending on your browser you may also see "Browse" instead of "Choose File".)
- Create a threaded replies by clicking the Allow threaded replies checkbox.
- Require users to post to the discussion before viewing other replies by clicking the Users must post before seeing replies checkbox.
- Allow users to like discussion posts by clicking the Allow liking checkbox.
- Set specific dates the discussion can be viewed. Select the date you want the discussion to be show in the Available From field and the date the discussion should be hidden in the Until field. If you do not enter any dates, the discussion will be show during the entire duration of the course.
- Use the Content Selector to add additional content to your discussion post. (Note: If the Files tab does not appear in the Content Selector, your instructor has restricted this setting.)