What options are available for Quizzes?
When you create a quiz, you have a variety of options to choose from within a quiz.
Note: You can import existing quizzes into Canvas.
Create Quiz Name
In the Unnamed Quiz field, you can create a name for your quiz.
Create Quiz Settings
Set Quiz Options
Quiz settings have several options.
Shuffle Answers . You can shuffle (randomize) answers. (You can also shuffle questions by creating a question group.)
Time Limit . You can choose to set a time limit by entering the number of minutes students have to complete the entire quiz. Timed quizzes begin once a student begins the exam and will not be paused if the student navigates away from the quiz. If no time limit is set, students will have unlimited time to complete the quiz.
Multiple Attempts . You can allow multiple attempts.
Quiz Responses . You can let students see their quiz responses. Quizzes default to this option, so if you do not want students to see their quiz responses, deselect the checkbox.
As part of this option, you can restrict students view of the quiz results to Only Once After Each Attempt . Students will only be able to view the results immediately after they have completed the quiz—results include both their responses and the correct answers.
- This option may not be appropriate for quizzes that require manual grading, such as essay questions, where students would require additional views to see the updated results.
- When a quiz is saved with the Only Once After Each Attempt option, you can use the Moderate Quiz feature to give students additional views to their quiz results.
Correct Answers . You can let students see which answers were correct. Quizzes default to this option, so if you do not want students to see their quiz responses, deselect the checkbox.
As a part of this option, you can also control when and for how long students can see the correct answers by setting dates (and specific times, if desired) in the Show and Hide fields.
- To show answers immediately after quiz is submitted, leave the Show and Hide fields blank.
- To create a date range to display the answers, set a start date in the Show field and an ending date in the Hide field.
- To always show answers after a specific date, set a date in the Show field.
- To hide answers after a specific date, set a date in the Hide field.
Note: If the Only Once After Each Attempt option is selected, it will override any show or hide dates or times. If you want to show or hide correct answers on any specific date or time, the Only Once option should not be selected.
One Question at a Time . You can show one question at a time and lock questions after answering.
Note: If your Canvas admin has restricted students from viewing quiz submissions after the course ends, options 4 and 6 will not be available after the course end date has passed.
View Expanded Options
A few of the settings contain expanded menu options:
Allow Multiple Attempts
- Recent Quiz Score —You can choose whether to keep the highest or latest score of all attempts. By default, Canvas will keep the highest score unless this setting is changed.
- Allowed Attempts —You can allow multiple attempts and limit the number of attempts. The default dashes represent unlimited attempts.
If you retain the Quizzes default option for students to see their quiz responses:
- If you allow at least one attempt for the quiz, the Let Student See Their Quiz Responses area will display a Only after their last attempt checkbox . Selecting this option means that students can only see their correct responses after their last quiz attempt.
- If you allow more than one attempt for the quiz, please be aware that not all students may complete all attempts and therefore may never see their quiz responses. For instance, if a student has three attempts but achieves their desired score in the second attempt, the student will most likely not complete the third (and last) attempt. That means their quiz responses and correct answers will not appear because the last attempt was not completed. To allow these students to see their responses, you would have to manually change the quiz settings at a later time.
Show One Question at a Time
- Lock Questions —You can choose to lock questions after answering. This option means that students cannot return to the previous question once it has been answered.
Set Quiz Restrictions
You can restrict the quiz so it can only be taken in specific situations. By default, these options are never selected.
- You can require students to enter an access code to take the quiz.
- You can filter IP addresses and require students to take a quiz from a specific computer lab.
Note: If you have the Respondus LockDown Browser enabled by your institution, using that browser will also appear as an option here. The Respondus LockDown Browser does not allow other windows to be opened during the quiz and helps prevent cheating.
Set Due and Availability Dates
You can set the Due Date , Available From date , and available Until date  for the quiz. These fields are optional and can be set depending how you want to manage the quiz:
- Due Date: the date and time that the Quiz is due
- Available From: the date and time when the Quiz will become available for students to take the quiz
- Until: the date and time when students can no longer take the quiz
If you have multiple sections in your course, learn how to set up varied due dates.
Create Quiz Questions
Once you have set up the settings for your quiz, click the Questions tab to create the quiz questions and points. You can create individual quiz questions, questions with a question bank, questions with a question group, and questions with a question bank in a question group.
Note: The character limit for quiz questions is 16384 characters. You will receive a warning if you exceed the character limit.
Unpublished Quiz Options
Once you save your quiz, you have several quiz options.
To publish the quiz, click the Publish button . Publishing a quiz means that students will be able to see the quiz in the course.
Before publishing the quiz, if you want to see the student view and make sure it appears correctly, click the Preview button . To edit the quiz, click the Edit button .
You can also view more options in the Settings menu :
- Show the rubric for a quiz to evaluate student answers, such as for essay questions (learn how to add a rubric) .
- Lock this quiz now so that students cannot access the quiz once it is published. The quiz title will still be visible to students but they will be unable to open the quiz .
- Delete this quiz .
Note: If you want to hide the quiz from student view, do not publish the quiz. When the quiz is unpublished, it can only be viewed by the instructor.
To unlock a quiz, click the Settings icon  and click the Let Students Take this Quiz Now button .
Published Quiz Options
Once you publish a quiz, you can view additional options.
In addition to the options available for unpublished quizzes, in the Settings Menu , you can:
- Preview the quiz 
- Show student quiz results from students who have taken the quiz 
- Message students who have taken the quiz already or who haven't yet taken the quiz 
In the sidebar, you also have access to related quiz features:
- Show quiz statistics 
- Moderate this quiz and grant students more time or additional attempts (this option can be used for any type of quiz) 
- Grade quiz in the SpeedGrader™ 
You can also hide grades from students by muting assignments in the gradebook.