What options are available for Quizzes?
Set Quiz Name, Quiz Type, and Assignment Group
Quiz settings have the following options:
- You can shuffle (randomize) answers. (You can also shuffle questions by creating a question group.)
- You can choose to set a time limit by entering the number of minutes students have to complete the entire quiz. Timed quizzes begin once a student begins the exam and will not be paused if the student navigates away from the quiz. If no time limit is set, students will have unlimited time to complete the quiz.
- You can allow multiple attempts.
- You can let students see their quiz responses.
- You can let students see which answers were correct.
- You can show one question at a time and lock questions after answering.
- You can restrict the quiz so it can only be taken in specific situations.
By default, quizzes will always let students see their quiz responses and see which answers were correct (options 4 and 5). If you do not want students to see their quiz responses, you will have to uncheck the boxes. Note: If your Canvas admin has restricted students from viewing quiz submissions after the course ends, these options will not be available.
Set Quiz Options
A few of the settings contain expanded menus:
1. Allow Multiple Attempts
- Choose whether to keep the highest or latest score of all attempts. By default Canvas will keep the highest score unless this setting is changed.
- Allow multiple attempts and limit the number of attempts. The default dashes represent unlimited attempts.
2. Let Students See Their Quiz Responses
You can also control when and for how long students can see the correct answers to their quiz submissions.
- Show immediately after quiz is submitted: leave the Show and Hide fields blank.
- Show after a specific date: set a date and time in the Show field.
- Hide after a specific date: set a date and time in the Hide field.
- Create a time frame: set a date and time in the Show and Hide fields.
Note: If you allow at least 1 quiz attempt and allow students to see their quiz responses, the Only after their last attempt checkbox will appear. This option means that students can only see their correct responses after their last quiz attempt. If you allow more than one attempt on a quiz, please be aware that not all students may complete all attempts and therefore may never see their quiz responses. For instance, if a student has three attempts but achieves their desired score in the second attempt, the student will most likely not complete the third (and last) attempt. That means the quiz responses and correct answers will not appear because the last attempt was not completed. To allow these students to see their responses, you would have to manually change the quiz settings at a later time.
3. Show One Question at a Time
- Lock questions after answering: students cannot return to the previous question once it has been answered.
4. Set quiz restriction options
- Require an access code (given by a proctor) in order to start the quiz.
- Require students to take a quiz from computer lab with a specified IP address range.
Note: If you have the Respondus LockDown Browser enabled by your institution, using that browser will also appear as an option here. The Respondus LockDown Browser does not allow other windows to be opened during the quiz and helps prevent cheating.
Set Due and Availability Dates
You can set the Due Date , Available From date , and available Until date  for the quiz.
- Due Date: Set the date and time that the Quiz is due.
- Available From: Set the date and time when the Quiz will become available for students to take the quiz.
- Until: Set the date and time when students can no longer take the quiz.
If you have multiple sections in your course, learn how to set up varied due dates.
Then click the Preview button to see what students will see when they take the quiz . If everything looks okay, click the Publish button .
Other Quiz Options
When you view a quiz, you can:
- Edit a quiz
- Show a rubric to a quiz (or add one if none exists) and use the rubric to evaluate student answers (to essay questions, for example)
- Preview the quiz
- Lock this quiz now so that students can no longer access it (once it is locked the button will change to Manually Unlock a Quiz)
- Show quiz results from students who have taken the quiz
- Message students who have taken the quiz already or who haven't yet taken the quiz
- Delete this quiz
Related items you can do on other pages but related to the quiz:
8. Show quiz statistics
10. Grade quiz in the SpeedGrader™
You can also hide grades from students by muting assignments in the gradebook.
Lock this Quiz Now
To lock a quiz immediately and prevent students from accessing the quiz, click the Settings icon  and click Lock this Quiz Now. The quiz title will still be visible to students but they will be unable to open the quiz.
Note: If you want to hide the quiz from student view, you can unpublish the quiz. The quiz will still be viewable by the instructor.