How do I make a quiz available before or after the due date?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). Depending on your Canvas view, your page design may vary from the images shown in this lesson. However, the functionality and location of the components remain the same.
You can make your quiz available to all your students before or after the due date by setting availability dates.
Note: If you are looking to change quiz dates for individual students, you may want to create a new section in your course for those students, add the section to the quiz, and modify availability dates for that section.
Quizzes have an autosubmit feature tied to the Until (lock) date, which may affect student submissions. Common quiz scenarios and date results include the following:
- No dates: quiz is never marked late and autosubmitted at course conclude (see course settings)
- Due date only: quiz is marked late at Due date and autosubmitted at course conclude (see course settings)
- Due date with Until date: quiz is marked late at Due date and autosubmitted at Until date
- Time limit: quiz is autosubmitted when time expires
- Time limit with Until date: quiz is autosubmitted when time expires unless the Until date expires first
Note: The autosubmit feature only applies when students are actively taking a quiz.
When students view a quiz, they are able to see the details of the quiz. Quiz details do not show due and availability dates in relation to the current time. However, within the quiz, Canvas notifies students regarding any upcoming quiz deadlines:
- For quizzes with a Due date, the browser displays a notification banner to let students know when the quiz will be marked late (30 minutes prior, 5 minutes prior, and 1 minute prior).
- For quizzes that are close to autosubmitting (using an Until date or the natural course conclude date), the browser displays a notification banner to let students know when the quiz will autosubmit (30 minutes prior, 5 minutes prior, 1 minute prior, and 10 seconds prior).
- For timed quizzes, the browser displays a notification banner if students are not able to complete the quiz in the full allotted time period. The quiz sidebar also displays a timer indicating how many minutes remain to complete the quiz. For example, if a 60-minute quiz has an Until date of 11:59 pm and a student begins the quiz at 11:30 pm, the student will only have 30 minutes to complete the quiz.
For more details about how students view and take quizzes, view the How do I take a Quiz lesson in the Canvas Student Guide.
View Availability Dates
View the availability date options for your quiz:
- Available From: the date and time when the Assignments will become available to students. If no time is set, this date defaults to 12:00 am for the course time zone.
- Until: the date and time when students can no longer access the assignment. If no time is set, this date defaults to 11:59 pm for the course time zone.
When the assignment is published, blank availability date fields allow the assignment to be viewed throughout the entire course.