What are Grades?
Grades can serve as a communication tool between students and instructors and allow instructors to track the progress of students. The Gradebook provides a way to easily input and distribute grades for students. It can calculate weighted grades, and assignments can be organized into groups for weighting as well. You can view Grades by clicking on the Grades link in the Global Navigation or the Grades navigation link within a course.
When Would I Use Grades?
Use the Gradebook
The Canvas Gradebook is a fully featured management tool that allows instructors to:
- Simultaneously view grade information across all courses.
- Be notified when assignments submitted.
- Notify students when an assignment has been graded.
- View Grade history and revert updated assignment scores to previous scores.
- Download or upload Grades as a CSV file.
- Utilize offline grading capability by downloading assignment submissions into a zip file and upload when connectivity is available.
- Block students from viewing their grades until they are published.
- Create custom weighting and grade ranges.
- View a report of all historical grade changes.
- Message students who haven’t submitted an assignment yet.
- Message students who scored more than X or less than Y on an assignment.
- Leave private grading notes/comments for the student.