What are Grades and the Gradebook?
Grades can serve as a communication tool between students and instructors and allow instructors to track the progress of students.
The Gradebook stores all information about student progress in the course.
Access Grades across all Courses
To see a Grade summary across all courses, click the Grades link in Global Navigation.
Access Grades in a Specific Course
What is the Gradebook?
The Gradebook provides a way to easily input and distribute grades for students that can calculate weighted grades, and you can organize assignments into groups for weighting as well.
You can also use SpeedGrader™ to help you assign out grades.
Columns are automatically created in the Gradebook when you create Assignments, graded Discussions, and graded Quizzes and Surveys. A column is also automatically added for the Attendance tool.
Manually Add a Column
Canvas will ask you what you want to do with the new column. In the drop-down menu, choose the A new assignment option . Then assign the number of points possible . Click the Continue button .
Canvas will create the new assignment with the following features:
- Assignment Group: Assignments
- Submission Type: No submission
- Due date for: Everyone
When would I use the Gradebook?
Use the Gradebook to:
- View assignment submission notifications and assignment details
- Sort the gradebook by assignment due dates, student names, secondary id, total scores, or group scores (if applicable)
- Download assignment submissions from students to grade or view them offline when no internet connection is available
- Manually enter student grades
- Automatically calculate total and final grades
- Assign zeros after deadline (this will send a notification out to students)
- Simultaneously view grade information across all courses
- Notify students when an assignment has been graded
- View Grade history and revert updated assignment scores to previous scores (including grades from multiple submissions and/or regraded quizzes)
- Download or upload Grades as a CSV file
- Hide grades from students until they are published
- Create custom weighting, curving, and grade ranges
- Message students who haven’t submitted an assignment yet, or who scored more than X or less than Y on an assignment
- Leave private grading notes/comments for the student
Note: You can use keyboard shortcuts to navigate the Gradebook. Press the comma key and a pop-up window with keyboard shortcuts will appear for keyboard navigation.
What is the Learning Mastery Gradebook?
The Learning Mastery Gradebook helps instructors and admins assess the outcome standards being used in Canvas courses rather than letter grades. This gradebook helps institutions measure student learning for accreditation and better assess the needs of their students.
When would I use the Learning Mastery Gradebook?
Use the Learning Mastery Gradebook to:
- Measure student progress and student learning
- View student scores based on learning standards
- Filter students based on mastery learning levels
- View course statistics
- Assess course curriculum and teaching methods
Note: The Learning Mastery Gradebook is currently a course opt-in feature. To enable this gradebook, learn how to manage feature options in the course features lesson.