What are Grades and the Gradebook?
Grades can serve as a communication tool between students and instructors and allow instructors to track the progress of students. The Gradebook provides a way to easily input and distribute grades for students that can calculate weighted grades, and you can organize assignments into groups for weighting as well.
You can also use SpeedGrader™ to help you assign out grades.
Access Grades across all Courses
To see a Grade summary across all courses, click the Grades link in Global Navigation.
Access Grades in a Specific Course
What is the Gradebook?
Grades opens to the Canvas Gradebook, which is a fully featured management tool that displays all Canvas assignments. Columns are automatically created in the Gradebook when you create Assignments, graded Discussions, and graded Quizzes and Surveys. A column is also automatically added for the Attendance tool.
To add a new column, create a new Assignment.
Manually Add a Column
Canvas will ask you what you want to do with the new column. In the drop-down menu, choose the A new assignment option . Then assign the number of points possible . Click the Continue button .
Canvas will create the new assignment with the following features:
- Assignment Group: Assignments
- Submission Type: No submission
- Due date for: Everyone
When Would I use the Gradebook?
Use the Gradebook to:
- View assignment submission notifications and assignment details
- Sort the gradebook by assignment due dates, student names, secondary id, total scores, or group scores (if applicable)
- Download assignment submissions from students to grade or view them offline when no internet connection is available
- Manually enter student grades
- Automatically calculate total and final grades
- Assign zeros after deadline (this will send a notification out to students)
- Simultaneously view grade information across all courses
- Notify students when an assignment has been graded
- View Grade history and revert updated assignment scores to previous scores (including grades from multiple submissions and/or regraded quizzes)
- Download or upload Grades as a CSV file
- Hide grades from students until they are published
- Create custom weighting, curving, and grade ranges
- Message students who haven’t submitted an assignment yet, or who scored more than X or less than Y on an assignment
- Leave private grading notes/comments for the student