What are Files?
Files can house course files, assignments, syllabi, readings, or other documents, as well as profile pictures and user-specific files. Instructors can lock folders and files so they can only be viewed by direct links or only unlock on a specific date.
Files can be placed in Modules, Assignments, or Pages. Files and folders are put in alphabetical order and cannot be rearranged.
Canvas users will find access to files (documents, images, media, etc.) in three different places:
- Personal files, located in each user's profile (students, teachers, and TAs)—View a video about personal files
- Course files, located in each course (students, teachers, and TAs unless files are locked by the teacher)—View a video about Course Files
- Group files, located in each group (students and teachers who are enrolled in groups)
To learn about specific file quota details for each user role, view the Course Files Quota resource document.
Use Files to:
- Share course documents and syllabi with your students
- Copy documents from one Canvas course to another
- Organize course documents by day, week, or unit
- Store personal documents that you don't want to share with others
Within files, you can:
- Add folders
- Upload files
- Download or upload a ZIP file
- Move files
- Preview files
- Restrict files
- View your storage
- Drag and drop files from personal files into course files
- Set usage rights for files and folders.