How do I upload changes to the Gradebook?
You can use a CSV file to upload changes to the Gradebook. You can upload information for existing assignments, or you can also use a CSV file to create new assignments in the Gradebook.
If you don't want to create a new CSV file, you can always download the CSV from Canvas, change it, and re-upload the same file and the changes you made will appear in Canvas once you re-upload the CSV file. Do not change the file name.
If you create a column for a new assignment, Canvas will ask how you want to import the assignment. New assignments upload with the following settings:
- Assignment Group: Assignments
- Submission Type: No submission
- Due date for: Everyone
- The Gradebook CSV file does not currently support entries for assignments set to display grades as complete/incomplete.
- CSV file uploads can create assignments and update grades; they cannot update any other area of the Gradebook, such as assignment status or comments.
- Letter Grade and GPA Scale assignments do not support any entries that are not part of the assignment's grading scheme.
- Read-only columns are automatically ignored in the upload.
View Example CSV File
For new files, save the file as Grades-Course_Name.csv. For downloaded Gradebook CSV files, do not change the file name.
- Student Name
- Student ID
- SIS User ID (only required if you use SIS)
- SIS Login ID (only required if you use SIS)
- Assignment (this can be for an existing assignment or a new assignment; retain IDs for existing assignments)
- Current Score
- Final Score
Click the Import button.
Click the Upload Data button.
Upload New Data
If you add a new column to the CSV file and then upload the file, Canvas will ask you what you want to do with the new column. In the drop-down menu, choose the A new assignment option . Then assign the number of points possible . Click the Continue button .