How do I upload changes to the Gradebook?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). Depending on your Canvas view, your page design may vary from the images shown in this lesson. However, the functionality and location of the components remain the same.
You can use a CSV file to upload changes to the Gradebook. You can upload information for existing assignments, or you can also use a CSV file to create new assignments in the Gradebook.
If you don't want to create a new CSV file, you can always download the CSV from Canvas, change it, and re-upload the same file and the changes you made will appear in Canvas once you re-upload the CSV file. Do not change the file name.
If you create a column for a new assignment, Canvas will ask how you want to import the assignment. New assignments upload with the following settings:
- Assignment Group: Assignments
- Submission Type: No submission
- Due date for: Everyone
- The Gradebook CSV file downloads complete/incomplete assignments as full or no credit (e.g. for a 10-point assignment, 10 or 0). Scores with full or partial credit upload as a complete assignment; scores with zero upload as an incomplete assignment.
- CSV file uploads can create assignments and update grades; they cannot update any other area of the Gradebook, such as assignment status or comments.
- Letter Grade and GPA Scale assignments do not support any entries that are not part of the assignment's grading scheme.
- Read-only columns are automatically ignored in the upload.
View Example CSV File
For new files, save the file as Grades-Course_Name.csv. For downloaded Gradebook CSV files, do not change the file name.
- Student Name
- Student ID
- SIS User ID (only required if you use SIS)
- SIS Login ID (only required if you use SIS)
- Assignment (this can be for an existing assignment or a new assignment; retain IDs for existing assignments)
Click the Import button.
Click the Upload Data button.
Upload New Data
If you add a new column to the CSV file and then upload the file, Canvas will ask you what you want to do with the new column. In the drop-down menu, choose the A new assignment option . Then assign the number of points possible . Click the Continue button .