How do I upload changes to the Gradebook?
You can use a CSV file to upload changes to the Gradebook.
- The Gradebook CSV file does not currently support entries for assignments set to display grades as complete/incomplete.
- CSV file uploads can create assignments and update grades; they cannot update any other area of the Gradebook, such as assignment status or comments
- Letter Grade and GPA Scale assignments do not support any entries that are not part of the assignment's grading scheme.
View Example CSV File
The columns that you need are:
- SIS User ID (if you use SIS)
- SIS Login ID (if you use SIS)
- Existing Assignment (###)
- A New Assignment (if you want to create a new one in the new file outside of Canvas)
The columns that are optional are:
- Current Score
- Final Score
You can always download the CSV from Canvas, change it, and re-upload the same file and the changes you made will appear in Canvas once you re-upload the CSV file. Do not change the file name.
Click the Upload Data button to upload the .csv file.
Upload New Data
If you add a new column to the CSV file and then upload the file, Canvas will ask you what you want to do with the new column. In the drop-down menu, choose the A new assignment option . Then assign the number of points possible . Click the Continue button .
Canvas will create the new assignment with the following features:
- Assignment Group: Assignments
- Submission Type: No submission
- Due date for: Everyone
Review the changes made to your Gradebook.
There will be a sentence at the bottom of the page if you upload assignments with no grade changes that reads, "Note: You uploaded some assignments that had no grade changes detected. They have been hidden."