How do I upload changes to the Gradebook?
You can use a CSV file to upload changes to the Gradebook. You can upload information for existing assignments, or you can also use a CSV file to create new assignments in the Gradebook.
If you don't want to create a new CSV file, you can always download the CSV from Canvas, change it, and re-upload the same file and the changes you made will appear in Canvas once you re-upload the CSV file. Do not change the file name.
If you create a column for a new assignment, Canvas will ask how you want to import the assignment. New assignments upload with the following settings:
- Assignment Group: Assignments
- Submission Type: No submission
- Due date for: Everyone
- The Gradebook CSV file does not currently support entries for assignments set to display grades as complete/incomplete.
- CSV file uploads can create assignments and update grades; they cannot update any other area of the Gradebook, such as assignment status or comments.
- Letter Grade and GPA Scale assignments do not support any entries that are not part of the assignment's grading scheme.
View Example CSV File
For new files, save the file as Grades-Course_Name.csv. For downloaded Gradebook CSV files, do not change the file name.
- Student Name
- Student ID
- SIS User ID (only required if you use SIS)
- SIS Login ID (only required if you use SIS)
- Assignment (this can be for an existing assignment or a new assignment; retain IDs for existing assignments)
- Current Score
- Final Score
Click the Choose File or Browse button (depending on your browser).
Click the Upload Data button.
Upload New Data
If you add a new column to the CSV file and then upload the file, Canvas will ask you what you want to do with the new column. In the drop-down menu, choose the A new assignment option . Then assign the number of points possible . Click the Continue button .
Review the changes made to your Gradebook.
There will be a sentence at the bottom of the page if you upload assignments with no grade changes that reads, "Note: You uploaded some assignments that had no grade changes detected. They have been hidden."