What is SpeedGrader?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). Depending on your Canvas view, your page design may vary from the images shown in this lesson. However, the functionality and location of the components remain the same.
As an instructor, SpeedGrader allows you to view and grade student assignment submissions in one place using a simple point scale or complex rubric. Canvas accepts a variety of document formats and even URLs as assignment submissions. Some document assignments can be marked up for feedback directly within the submission. You can also provide feedback to your students with text or media comments.
You can use SpeedGrader to:
- Sort submissions by student and hide student names for anonymous grading
- Evaluate assignments for each student, including resubmitted assignments
- Use rubrics to assign grades
- Leave feedback for your students
- Track your grading progress and hide assignments while grading
- View submissions in moderated assignments
For each student, SpeedGrader has five areas:
- View student submissions (text entries, website URLs, media recordings, and/or file uploads). Preview .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, and .pdf submissions using Crocodoc; review other file format submissions using the document previewer or Google Preview
- Assign a grade based on your preferred assessment method (points or percentage)
- View Rubric to assist with grading (if one is added to the assignment)
- View comments created by you or the student about the assignment
- Create text, video, and/or audio commentary for the student
Note: You can use keyboard shortcuts to navigate SpeedGrader. Press the comma key and a pop-up window with keyboard shortcuts will appear for keyboard navigation.