What are Student Groups?
Groups are like a smaller version of your course and are used as a collaborative tool where students can work together on group projects and assignments. Students can be organized into groups at the course level as well as the account level.
Learn more about Groups: Group Creation and Management for Instructors (Video)
Within each group, students can create pages, announcements, collaborations, discussions, and calendar events in real-time.
When Should I Use Groups?
As an instructor, create groups to:
- Set up student group configurations at the course level for assignments and in-class work, both graded and ungraded.
- Facilitate semester-long projects so that students can communicate and iterate on documents together.
- Facilitate faculty professional development and institutional committees or activities.
- Facilitate student-run study groups within courses or at the account level.
Instructor Groups Management View
Within Groups, instructors can:
- View all activity within all the groups within their course, including groups created by students as noted in the instructor's Student Groups tab (by default students will be allowed to create their own groups as noted by the Groups Course Settings checkbox)
- View all created groups within the course
- Create a new group set and create subgroups automatically or manually
- Assign students to subgroups automatically or manually
- Assign group leaders to each group
- Allow students to sign up for their own groups
- Expand and collapse subgroups
- Move students into different subgroups
- Create group collaborations
- Edit or delete group sets