What are Files?
Files are where you upload course files, syllabi, readings, or other documents. Instructors can lock the folders so students cannot access your files. Files can be placed in Modules, Assignments, or Pages. Files and folders are put in alphabetical order and cannot be rearranged.
If you are not using the New Files feature option, please view an archived version of this lesson.
Within the Files tool, users can rename, delete, organize, and upload files. There are no file type or size limitations, but be aware of the amount of file storage available to you as set by the institution. Users can also batch upload a .zip file or download entire directories as .zip files.
Note that folders and files are in alphabetical order and cannot be rearranged.
Canvas users can view files (documents, images, media, etc.) in three different places:
- Personal files, located in each user's profile (students, instructors, and TAs)
- Course files, located in each course (only instructors and TAs can upload course files)
- Group files, located in each group (students and instructors who are enrolled in groups)
Note: You cannot move files between file areas, such as moving personal files to course files.
When would I use Files?
Use Files to:
- Share course documents and syllabi with your students
- Copy documents from one Canvas course to another
- Organize course documents by day, week, or unit
- Store personal documents that you don't want to share with others