What are Files for instructors?
Files are where you upload course files, syllabi, readings, or other documents. As an instructor, you can lock the folders so students cannot access your files. Files can be placed in Modules, Assignments, or Pages. Files and folders are put in alphabetical order and cannot be rearranged.
Canvas users will find access to files (documents, images, media, etc.) in three different places:
- Personal files, located in each user's profile (students, teachers, and TAs)—View a video about personal files
- Course files, located in each course (students, teachers, and TAs unless files are locked by the teacher)—View a video about Course Files
- Group files, located in each group (students and teachers who are enrolled in groups)
If you are not using the Usage Rights feature option (part of the New Files feature option), please view the New Files version of this lesson. If you are not using the New Files feature option, please view the archived version of this lesson.
When would I use Files?
Use Files to:
- Share course documents and syllabi with your students
- Copy documents from one Canvas course to another
- Organize course documents by day, week, or unit
- Store personal documents that you don't want to share with others
Within files, you can: