How do I add requirements to a module?
When you add requirements to a module, students must complete all requirements within one module before moving to the next module. You can require students to complete all requirements in the module, or have them choose one item to fulfill a specific requirement. Note that you cannot add requirements until you have added items to the module.
You can choose to allow students to complete requirements in any order, or you can require them to move through the module sequentially. A requirement to move through module items sequentially relates to the order items are listed on the Modules page, not the order displayed in Module Settings. If you have multiple iterations of an module item, you can set different requirements for each item.
Module requirements are displayed in the order that they exist as module items. You may need to reorder module items so that the requirements are set correctly.
Depending on the module item type, requirements include up to five options:
- View the item: Students must view the item.
- Mark as done: Students must mark the module item as done before they can progress to the next item.
- Contribute to the page: Students must post a reply to a non-graded discussion or contribute content to a page (make sure students are allowed to edit pages in the course).
- Submit the assignment: Students must submit an assignment, post a reply to a graded discussion, or submit a quiz. (Canvas does not allow you to manually enter a grade to fulfill this requirement; a submission must be made by the student.)
- Score at least: Students must meet a minimum submission score. With this option, an additional field appears where you can enter the minimum score that students must earn. This option is available for all graded assignment types.
You can also set up prerequisite modules and require students to complete each module in order.
Note: If you choose to set the requirement type as completing only one option, and you want to use it with graded items, please note that all assignments with their current grades are reflected in the Gradebook. For instance, if you want a module to require a student to submit one of three assignments, the two assignments that aren’t submitted still factor into the Gradebook as unsubmitted. You may choose to manually configure the unsubmitted assignments appropriately, either by using the differentiated assignments feature or excusing the assignments in the Gradebook.
Select Requirement Type
When adding requirements, you can choose whether to allow students to complete all requirements, or one of a series of requirements. By default, Modules selects the all requirements option . To require students to complete only one requirement, click the Student must complete one of these requirements radio button .
Set Item Requirements
To add additional requirements, click the Add Requirement button .
To remove a requirement, click the Remove icon .
Note: If you have multiple iterations of an module item, you can set different requirements for each item.
Require Sequential Order
If you want to require students to complete each module item in order, click the Students must move through requirements in sequential order checkbox.
Note: The Students must move through requirements in sequential order checkbox will not be shown if the Students must complete one of these requirements radio button is selected.