How do I create an Outcome for my course?
In Canvas, Outcomes can be created from within an account, sub-account or course.
Click the New Outcome button.
Enter a name for the outcome in the Name this outcome field . This is the official name of the outcome that will also appear in the Learning Mastery Gradebook.
If you allow students to view Learning Mastery scores on the Grades page, they will see the name of the outcome. However, you may want to create a custom, more friendly name. To create a friendly name for student view, enter a name in the Friendly name (optional) field .
You can also enter a description in the Rich Content Editor field .
Add Criterion Ratings
Edit the Criterion Ratings:
- Click the Edit icon to edit the criterion rating.
- Name the criterion by typing in the criterion name field.
- Set the criterion point value by typing in the points field.
- Click Ok to save the criterion.
- Click Delete to remove the criterion.
- Add additional criterion ratings clicking on the Insert link and entering the information.
- Choose the threshold by typing in the point value necessary to master the Learning Outcome in the Master at field.
- Click the Save button to create the Outcome.
Note: Learning outcomes can be included in assignment rubrics as an easy way to assess mastery of outcomes aligned to specific assignments. When you define a learning outcome, you should also define a criterion that can be used when building assignment rubrics. Define as many columns as you need, and specify a point threshold that will be used to define mastery of this outcome.
View your created Outcome.