What is a peer review Assignment?
A peer review assignment enables students to provide feedback on another student's assignment submission. Peer reviews are a tool that allows communication between students and can help students master the concepts of a course and learn from each other. Peer reviews can be assigned to show student names or display anonymously.
Assigning Peer Review Notifications
When creating an assignment, instructors can assign peer reviews for students . Peer reviews can be assigned automatically or manually.
When a peer review has been assigned, students can view a notification in their Dashboard To Do sidebar or Activity Stream . Students will also receive an email notification.
If the assignment is not an On Paper or No Submission assignment type, students can also view the peer review information in the sidebar of the assignment details page.
Completing Peer Reviews
To complete a peer review, students must review the assignment and leave a comment on the submission details page .
Instructors can also assign a rubric to the assignment. If the assignment includes a rubric , students must also complete the rubric to complete the peer review. The rubric score is used for an assessment opinion only; the instructor will later review the discussion and assign the final grade.
Learn how to submit a peer review assignment as a student.
Grading Peer Reviews
Students do not receive a grade for completing a peer review. If an instructor wants to assign extra points for peer reviews, they can create a No Submission assignment in the Gradebook and assign points manually. The Peer Review page for the assignment will show the names of students who have completed the peer review.
Viewing Anonymous Peer Reviews
The Anonymity option allows instructors to hide the name of the student reviewer from the student with the submission. The reviewer cannot see the name of the assigned person whose work is to be reviewed, and the student who submitted the assignment cannot view names associated with any comments.
Notes about Anonymous Peer Reviews
- Currently email notifications sent to students about peer reviews are NOT anonymous. Student reviewers can still view the name of the person whose work they are reviewing. This functionality will be added in a future release.
- Once an instructor or TA has assigned assigned peer reviews, the viewing setting cannot be changed. For instance, a regular peer review cannot later be made anonymous—and appear anonymous—unless the peer review is deleted and re-assigned.
- In the comments, students cannot view previously submitted comments by any other reviewers, including instructors and TAs.
- Student reviewer comments added to a Crocodoc file (using the View Feedback button) are also anonymous.
- Instructors and TAs can always view the names of student reviewers in SpeedGrader and on the student submission page.