What is the Course Setup Checklist?
The first few times you create a new course in Canvas, it's a challenge to remember all of the steps required. The Course Setup Checklist exists to help you remember to cover all your bases before the course goes live.
A course originally starts in an unpublished state allowing instructors to set up your course and ready the content while concealing it from students. Instructors, designers, and admins can add students, teachers, and TAs to the course. As soon as you’re ready then you can publish your course and make it available to the students.
When would I use the Course Setup Checklist
The Course Setup Checklist appears as a grey pop-up pane at the bottom of your screen when you first create a new course in Canvas. The checklist reminds you to:
- Import content using the Course Import Tool
- Add assignments or assignment shells on the Assignments page
- Add Students to the course via the People page
- Select the links you wish to display in the Course Navigation under the Navigation tab in Settings
- Choose a layout for your Course Home Page
- Add events and Assignments to your course Calendar
- Add TAs to the course via the People page
- Publish the course, which will automatically send invitation emails to any students you have already added to the course
Note: Once you have published a course, it cannot be unpublished.