What is the Course Setup Checklist?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). Depending on your Canvas view, your page design may vary from the images shown in this lesson. However, the functionality and location of the components remain the same.
The first few times you create a new course in Canvas, it's a challenge to remember all of the steps required. The Course Setup Checklist exists to help you remember to cover all your bases before the course goes live.
When would I use the Course Setup Checklist?
The Course Setup Checklist will help you create a new course in Canvas. Open the checklist by clicking the Course Setup Checklist button. The checklist reminds you to:
- Import content using the Course Import Tool
- Add assignments or assignment shells on the Assignments page
- Add Students to the course via the People page
- Select the links you wish to display in the Course Navigation under the Navigation tab in Settings
- Choose a layout for your Course Home Page
- Add events and Assignments to your course Calendar
- Add TAs to the course via the People page
- Publish the course\uFEFF, which will automatically send invitation emails to any students you have already added to the course
Note: Once your course contains a graded submission, you cannot unpublish your course.