How do I submit an online assignment?
You can submit online Assignments in Canvas using several submission types. Instructors can choose what kind of online submissions they want you to use. You may also have the option to resubmit assignments if your instructor allows.
Any attachments added as part of a graded assignment submission are also copied to your user files but are not counted against your user quota. However, once the file has been uploaded as a submission, you cannot delete the file. Files are stored in the Submissions folder.
Before submitting an assignment, you may want to review all assignment information, such as the assignment rubric, if any.
Third-Party File Application Submissions
You can submit assignments from Google Drive, Dropbox, or another third-party service via your desktop computer in one of two ways:
- Download the file to your computer and submit as a File Upload
- Share the file, copy the file URL, and submit as a Website URL
- Not all file types may be available for your assignment, depending on the assignment submission type set by your instructor.
- Not all of your assignments may be submitted online. If you cannot see the Submit Assignment link, your instructor may want you to submit your assignment in a different way or the availability date has passed. View the description of the assignment for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
To submit an assignment, click the Submit Assignment button to submit your work.
Note: If you cannot see the Submit Assignment button, your instructor may not want you to submit your assignment online or the availability date has passed. View the description of the assignment for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
Select Submission Type
Your instructor will decide what kinds of submissions are appropriate for each Assignment. There are four submission types: upload a file, submit a text entry, enter a website URL, or submit media.
Note: Not all file types may be available for your Assignment, depending on the assignment submission type set by your instructor.
Submit a File Upload
To upload a file from your computer and submit as your assignment, click the Choose File button . If you have already uploaded your assignment to Canvas and want to select it for your assignment submission, click the Click here...uploaded link .
For a step-by-step guide about uploading files from your computer as assignment submissions, please view the How do I upload a file lesson.
Submit a Text Entry
Submit Website URL
Submit Media Recording
Record or upload media. Follow the instructions given to you. Click Submit Assignment when you are done. Learn more about adding media to an assignment submission.
After you have submitted your work, you will see information in the Sidebar about your submission . For file uploads, the sidebar provides a link to your submission to download if necessary.
If you choose, you may resubmit another version of your assignment using the Re-submit Assignment button . You will only be able to view the details of your most recent submission in the Sidebar, but your instructor will be able to see all of your submissions.
Once the instructor has graded your submission, the Grades link in Course Navigation displays a grading indicator.
You can also see details about your assignment and links to additional feedback in your Grades page.
- Your assignment will still appear in Assignments and the Syllabus; the listing is not removed with assignment submissions.
- If you resubmit an assignment that has been reuploaded to Canvas by your instructor, the original submission will remain visible in the sidebar.