How do I submit a text entry assignment?
You can submit an assignment in Canvas using text entry. Text entry assignments are created in the Rich Content Editor. You may also have the option to resubmit assignments if your instructor allows.
Before submitting an assignment, you may want to review all assignment information, such as the assignment rubric, if any.
- Not all of your assignments may be submitted online. If you cannot see the Submit Assignment link, your instructor may want you to submit your assignment in a different way, or the availability date has passed. View the description of the assignment for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
- You can also submit assignments using your Android or iOS device.
- If enabled in your account, Canvas plays a celebration animation when you submit an assignment on time. However, if you prefer, you can disable this feature setting in your user settings.
- If the assignment you are accessing displays differently, your assignment may be using the Assignment Enhancements feature. Please view this guide for more information.
In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.
View Course Assignments
Click the name of an assignment.
To submit an assignment, click the Start Assignment button.
Note: If you cannot see the Start Assignment button, your instructor may not want you to submit your assignment online or the availability date has passed. View the description of the assignment for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
View Final Grade Notice
A banner may appear above your assignment to indicate that your instructor has removed the assignment from total grade calculations. However, this setting does not affect assignment submissions.
Open Text Entry
To submit a text entry assignment, click the Text Entry tab.
Submit Text Entry
Type or copy and paste text into the Rich Content Editor . Click the Submit Assignment button .
Any files added as part of a graded assignment submission are also copied to your user files but are not counted against your user quota. However, once the file has been uploaded as a submission, you cannot delete the file. Files are stored in the Submissions folder.
The Sidebar displays information about your submission .
If allowed by your instructor, you may choose to resubmit another version of your assignment by clicking the New Attempt button . You will only be able to view the details of your most recent submission in the Sidebar, but your instructor will be able to see all of your submissions.
Once the instructor has graded your submission, the Grades link in Course Navigation displays a grading indicator. You can also see details about your assignment and links to additional feedback in your Grades page.
- After submitting an assignment, the assignment will still appear in Assignments and in the Syllabus; the listing is not removed with assignment submissions.
- When you resubmit an assignment, you can only access and view your most recent submission. However, instructors can view all of your submissions.