Aeries Integration Overview
Canvas and Aeries have developed an automated integration between the two systems using APIs made available from OneRoster 1.1. The APIs allow Aeries to share rostering data to Canvas and for Canvas to post grades back to Aeries.
As an admin, you can review the integration functionality and limitations and request the integration for your institution.
The OneRoster integration works bi-directionally:
- Aeries to Canvas Provisioning: When you make changes in Aeries (to users, courses, enrollments, etc.), those changes are reflected in Canvas after a nightly, one-way transfer from your SIS's OneRoster 1.1 API to Canvas.
- Canvas to Aeries Grade Passback (GPB): When instructors make changes or updates to course assignments and student grades in Canvas, those changes are sent to your SIS using OneRoster 1.1 API. Learn about syncing grades from Canvas to the Aeries gradebook.
Note: OneRoster provisioning is required for GPB functionality.
The following data is included in any provisioning or GPB transfer.
- Course Grades/Gradebook Scores
- Graded Assignments
- Graded Discussions
- Graded Quizzes
Aeries Integration Prerequisites
Before implementing the Aeries/Canvas integration, your institution must meet the following requirements:
- Request your institution's OneRoster 1.1 credentials from Aeries. These OneRoster credentials (API URL, client key, and client secret) should be sent to the Instructure SIS team using a secure Canvas-provided link.
- Once you have shared your OneRoster credentials, the Instructure SIS team will verify the integration connectivity.
- If your institution is converting from one SIS to another or transitioning from a different integration, the SIS team must perform an evaluation of the integration against your data. The SIS team will contact you with any concerns about converting to the Aeries integration.
Known Aeries Integration Limitations
Please review the following limitations associated with the Aeries integration.
- Time-based gradebook linking in Aeries is supported for GPB.
For example: If a Fall and Spring semester gradebook for the same Biology course are linked in Aeries, GPB is allowed from Canvas to Aeries.
- Linked course gradebooks in Aeries is not supported for GPB.
For example: If a Biology course gradebook is linked with an English course gradebook in Aeries, GPB is not supported from Canvas to Aeries.
If you are interested in enabling the Aeries Integration for provisioning, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for consideration.