Aspire SIS Integration Overview
Instructure supports a SIS integration with Aspire Student Information System (SIS). The integration uses APIs made available from OneRoster 1.1 where the SIS is the OneRoster data provider, and Instructure is the OneRoster data consumer. Learn more about OneRoster and the Instructure OneRoster implementation.
The Instructure Aspire SIS integration allows Aspire to sync rostering data to Canvas and for Canvas to post assignments and assignment grades back to the Aspire gradebook.
As an admin, you can review the integration functionality and limitations and request the integration for your institution.
The OneRoster integration works bi-directionally:
- Aspire SIS to Canvas Provisioning: When you make changes in Aspire SIS (to users, courses, enrollments, etc.), those changes are reflected in Canvas after a nightly, one-way transfer from your SIS's OneRoster 1.1 API to Canvas.
- Canvas to Aspire SIS Grade Passback (GPB): When instructors make changes or updates to course assignments and student grades in Canvas, those changes are sent to your SIS using OneRoster 1.1 API. Learn about syncing grades from Canvas to the Aspire gradebook.
Note: OneRoster provisioning is required for GPB functionality.
The following data is included in any provisioning or GPB transfer.
- Course Grades/Gradebook Scores
- Graded Assignments
- Graded Discussions
- Graded Quizzes
- SIS Gradebook Category Imports
Please review the following prerequisites to implement the Instructure Aspire integration:
- Request your institution's OneRoster 1.1 credentials from Aspire (API URL, client key, and client secret), and send them to the Instructure SIS team using a secure Instructure-provided link. The Instructure SIS team will verify the integration connectivity.
- If your institution is converting from one SIS to another or transitioning from a different integration, the SIS team must perform an evaluation of the integration against your data. The SIS team will contact you with any concerns about converting to the Aspire integration.