PeopleSoft (Oracle) Integration Overview
Instructure supports a SIS integration with PeopleSoft (Oracle) Student Information System (SIS). The integration may be configured to leverage CSV data transfers via your secure file transfer protocol (SFTP) sever or using LIS 2.0 (SAIP).
The Instructure PeopleSoft integration allows PeopleSoft to sync rostering data to Canvas and for Canvas to post final course grades back to the PeopleSoft gradebook.
As an admin, you can review the integration functionality and limitations and request the integration for your institution.
The integration works bi-directionally:
- PeopleSoft to Canvas Provisioning: When you make changes in PeopleSoft (to users, courses, enrollments, etc.), those changes are reflected in Canvas after a nightly, one-way transfer from your SFTP to Canvas.
- Canvas to PeopleSoft Grade Passback (GPB): When instructors make changes or updates to student grades in Canvas, those changes are synced with PeopleSoft.
Note: Currently the Canvas PeopleSoft integration only supports final grade passback, which includes only current or final course grades. Assignment details and assignment-level grade information are not included in the data transfer.
The following data is included in any provisioning or GPB transfer.
- Course Grades
PeopleSoft Integration Prerequisites
Before implementing the Instructure PeopleSoft integration, your institution must meet the following requirements:
- Request your institution's SFTP credentials from PeopleSoft. These credentials (API URL, client key, and client secret) should be sent to the Instructure SIS team using a secure Canvas-provided link.
- Once you have shared your SFTP credentials, the Instructure SIS team will verify the integration connectivity.
- If your institution is converting from one SIS to another or transitioning from a different integration, the SIS team must perform an evaluation of the integration against your data. The SIS team will contact you with any concerns about converting to the PeopleSoft integration.
If you are interested in enabling the PeopleSoft Integration for provisioning, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for consideration.