Canvas SchoolTool Integration Overview
Instructure supports a SIS integration with Canvas and SchoolTool. The integration uses APIs made available from OneRoster 1.1 where SchoolTool is the OneRoster data provider, and Instructure is the OneRoster data consumer. Learn more about OneRoster and the Instructure OneRoster implementation.
The Canvas SchoolTool integration allows SchoolTool to sync rostering data to Canvas and for Canvas to post assignments and assignment grades back to the SchoolTool gradebook.
As an admin, you can review the integration functionality and limitations and request the integration for your institution.
The OneRoster integration works bi-directionally:
- SchoolTool to Canvas Provisioning: When you make changes in SchoolTool (to users, courses, enrollments, etc.), those changes are reflected in Canvas after a nightly, one-way transfer from your SIS's OneRoster 1.1 API to Canvas.
- Canvas to SchoolTool Grade Passback (GPB): When instructors make changes or updates to course assignments and student grades in Canvas, those changes are sent to your SIS using OneRoster 1.1 API. Learn about syncing grades from Canvas to the SchoolTool gradebook.
Note: OneRoster provisioning is required for GPB functionality.
The following data is included in any provisioning or GPB transfer.
- Course Grades/Gradebook Scores
- Graded Assignments
- Graded Discussions
- Graded Quizzes
Before implementing the Instructure SchoolTool integration, your institution must meet the following requirements:
- Request your institution's OneRoster 1.1 credentials from SchoolTool. These OneRoster credentials (API URL, client key, and client secret) should be sent to the Instructure SIS team using a secure Canvas-provided link.
- Once you have shared your OneRoster credentials, the Instructure SIS team will verify the integration connectivity.
- If your institution is converting from one SIS to another or transitioning from a different integration, the SIS team must perform an evaluation of the integration against your data. The SIS team will contact you with any concerns about converting to the SchoolTool integration.