What is Canvas Commons?
Commons is a learning object repository that enables educators to find, import, and share resources. A digital library full of educational content, Commons allows Canvas users to share learning resources with other users as well as import learning resources into a Canvas course.
Getting Started with Commons
To enable Commons in your Canvas instance, please contact your Customer Success Manager. To access Commons, you will need to have an email address associated with your Canvas account.
- Commons is available in all Free for Teacher (FFT) accounts. Free for Teacher users are limited to finding, importing, and sharing public resources.
- Commons includes similar functionality with Blueprint Courses. To learn more about Blueprint Courses, see the Blueprint Courses and Canvas Commons Comparison PDF.
What can I do with Commons?
- Create a personal learning object repository
- Build a course from scratch with relevant materials shared by other Canvas users
- Create a name for yourself and your institution as a subject matter expert
Find Resources in Commons
Find resources by searching for a specific keyword, author, institution, or title.
Import to Canvas
Import a resource into a Canvas course. Once the import to Canvas is complete, you can start using and customizing your resource.
Share to Commons
Share resources you create in Canvas with other Canvas users, with colleagues and groups at your institution, or with only you.
If you modify a resource (learning activity) in Canvas that was previously shared to Commons, you can reshare the modified resource to Commons and the existing resource in Commons will be updated.