What information do I need to share a resource to Commons?
When sharing a resource to Commons, you will need to add details about the resource, select a content license, and choose a sharing option.
- To enable Commons in your Canvas instance, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
- Commons is available in all Free for Teacher (FFT) accounts. Free for Teacher users are limited to finding, importing, and sharing public resources.
- For best results, please make sure your course is complete and published before sharing to Commons.
Commons resources require sharing and license options. You can select from the following options:
- If the resource you are sharing will update an existing resource, click the toggle and select the resource. Learn more about updating resources.
- Choose who you want to share the resource with. Learn more about sharing options.
- Select a content license. Learn what types of content licenses are available.
- Add any additional information about the resource.
- Depending on the account settings set by your Canvas admin, you may be unable to view and/or share public content. Authors of publicly shared resources will always be able to view their resource.
- When updating resources, resources that are no longer in a user's scope will not appear in the user's Updates page. For example, changing the share option from your account to within specific groups.
- The license you select for your resource in Commons is not tied to the license that is set for the resource within Canvas course settings.
- Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Add Metadata for your resource under the following headings:
- Title: Edit the title of your resource if necessary. This will be pre-populated based on the resource name.
- Description: Enter a description for your resource. If you plan to share your resource with other users, be as descriptive as possible.
- Tags: Enter tags to make it easy for other users to find your resource (at least one tag is required). For example, you can add Common Core State Standard tags.
- Image: Upload an image from your computer. Images are not available for image or video resources.
Note: Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.