How do I share a course to Commons?
You can share your Canvas course to Commons and make it available to other instructors.
Resources should be complete before they are shared. To modify an existing shared resource, learn how to update a resource previously shared to Commons.
- To enable Commons in your Canvas instance, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
- Commons is available in all Free for Teacher (FFT) accounts. Free for Teacher users are limited to finding, importing, and sharing public resources.
- Updating a previously shared course in Commons can replace constituent resources within the dependent course, resetting or replacing important settings, course design, and even resources like assignments. Please use caution when updating courses via Commons.
- Depending on the account settings set by your Canvas admin, you may be unable to view and/or share public content. Authors of publicly shared resources will always be able to view their resource.
- The file size limit for uploaded content is 500mb.
In Global Navigation, click the Courses link , then click the name of the course you want to share to Commons .
In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.
Share to Commons
In the sidebar, click the Share to Commons link.
Choose Sharing Option
Select a sharing option.
Choose Content License
Select your content license from the Copyright and Licenses drop-down menu . To add any additional licensing, copyright, or usage information, click the Add Additional Information link .
Select the appropriate grade level(s) using the sliders or drop-down menus.
Share to Commons
When you're done, click the Share button.
View Shared Resource
View your shared resource. It may take up to 30 minutes to process a resource. Resource previews are not available while the resource is processing.